A nice versatile snare

MatthewH

I've been recording bands around my local area, and a LOT of the drummers have horrible sounding snares, and they agree they don't particularly like the sound, but haven't put the time into getting the sound they want themselves. I know I know that i shouldn't be working with people who don't know their gear, but its the best place for me to start out!

So id like to have a go at doing a bit of practice working with snare tuning to help me understand how it works, (im a guitarist so this isn't really my thing).

im looking to pick up a relatively cheap snare, i mostly want it to practice tuning and working on removing bad ringing/bad tonal qualities but if i could grab one for sub £70 that i might be able to get a decent sound out of with some work and damping. I know it's not gonna sound like a flagship DW but i know you can get a good sound out of cheap gear no matter what anyone says (to a certain point).

I'm pretty sure Ebay is my best bet, can some people just tell me any things i should be looking for/avoiding for example should i be avoiding a metal snare for a versatile snare, and strange snare variations that look good but suck, hopefully you see what i mean, tell me some cheap snares you think actually sound really good for the price when well tuned.

Thanks a lot!

I think metal snares sound the best, and can tolerate a wider range of tuning. Look for any ol name brand 14" metal snare with at least 10 lugs. The Pearl Sensitone is very common and super cheap used. Find one of those.

+1 on metal snares being versatile. I really like the pork pie BOB. It is a imitation of the ludwig black beauty for about half the price. They are about 260 new and probably around half that used.

Yea, wood, steel or brass , pick your poison or get all three. Used snares can be cheap and easily upgraded with better snares , heads and even hardware .

Back