A new song from an old(ish)-timer.

Jags

Hi,

As you can see I've been a member of this board for ages, but absent for a long time, while remaining an occasional lurker. Was quite nostalgic looking through some of my posts from the early 2000s last night!

When I started out I remember plugging a £10 plastic mic directly into the soundblaster card on my parent's computer and wondering why everything i recorded was so quiet, and hissy. Also remember uploading songs to ampcast (which I think used to charge for the privilege), and spending hours downloading other peoples' tunes at 28Kbps, when you used to pay for the internet by the minute! I learned a lot from this board.

Anyway, don't think I recognise many people here from back then, but thought I'd upload a tune for old time's sake! It's an unashamed pop-rock tune really, only 2 and half minutes long, pretty out of character for me, I used to do much darker, radiohead influenced stuff...

www.soundclick.com/jamiesmith - 'staring straight at the sun'

I've recently bought a macbook pro, and after trying out garageband briefly, decided there wasn't enough flexibility and got Logic. I recorded the song very quickly, so there's little in the way of frills. I have a line 6 ux2 usb interface - the guitar was recorded directly through that, and the lead vocal too via MXL 990s. The backing vox were recorded through the internal mic on the mac (as were the lead vox until today!). Drums are garageband loops I think. The bass is the part i'm least happy with, synth all the way, I really hate trying to emulate real bass with synth but I can't justify buying a bass at the minute.

I don't have monitors, so it's mixed using the best speakers I have (which aren't great). I've seen that the KRK G2 range are available locally, can get a pair of RP5s for £250. Would you recommend them, or perhaps saving up for something in the higher price range?

Anyway, I'd be interested to know what you think.

Jamie

Wow...old timerish huh? I'm ancient then:eek:

This sounds really very good. Considering. The vocals and guitar take center stage here, so the other musical elements really don't distract from the song, at least in my opinion. So the song is kind of poppy, kind of punky, and very catchy. Kind of a Smiths influence in there somewhere as well. All things I like. The little mxl mike sounds pretty good for your voice. What about garageband did you find too limiting for a song like this? I use garageband exclusively and can't find any shortcomings with it for what I do. Garageband 09 is seriously great! Just curious, what features Logic has that you are using that Garageband lacked.

So overall, I liked it just fine and don't really have any issues with the mix, considering what you had to work with. I've heard so much worse with alot more.

You're not so oldish.
I think you've pretty well nailed it.
The vocals could probably use a little more presence (if that makes sense) although the volume is just right, in my estimation.
Nicely done!

Ha, old timerish more in terms of HR member years I guess!

Ksounds: there's really nothing I couldn't have done in garageband on this song (in fact it started out as a GB project before being transferred across), but I've used cubase in the past, and just felt that it would be handy to have more flexibility/options to hand. I may never use some of the features, but I'd like to think I'll take full advantage! Might try and use the mac in a live setting too, so mainstage may come in handy. Oh, and I couldn't do monster 5.1 surround mixes in GB (TFIC)! I agree though, GB is great and more than enough for most things.

Dogespan: Yeah the sibilance is an issue, lots of Ss and Chs around! Believe it or not was much worse with the previous vocal take. Don't have a de-esser on it at the moment (although tried it, and thought it sounded too artificial). Do you think I can fix that easily, or does it warrant re-tracking the vocal? I agree re the drums. Unfortunately don't have a lot of flexibility with them cos it's a loop, but could always push up the volume fader a tad!

Jim Lad: Thanks, on reflection didn't spend much time on the lead vocal after recording it yesterday, a quick bit of EQ, compression and reverb and that was it. Could certainly have a go at bringing out the presence!

Thanks all for your time, hope I can start being a regular contributor again.

Back