a new rock tune, 2nd posted version- "running Free"

It's well balanced in my headphones. This one hits the ground running. I like the guitars - everything is very clean. Sounds a lot like some stuff I was into in the mid-late 70's. Hints of YES and Starcastle w/o keys.

It's well balanced in my headphones. This one hits the ground running. I like the guitars - everything is very clean. Sounds a lot like some stuff I was into in the mid-late 70's. Hints of YES and Starcastle w/o keys.
alright spantini! thanks for cracking the ice on this one...

yea, hits the ground running, that was the idea...
its a bit loosy goosy in places, with the rhythm, but i really want it that way,
because when i had just one electric and one acoustic at the beginning,
it felt too stiff. played 'too tight', if that makes sense.
i want more of a classic rock vibe, where everything is looser and viby, not super tight like modern studio productions can get.

starcastle...
thats a name that doesn't get dropped too often!
i liked those guys back in the day...

I'm surprised out of the over 800 looks (at this time), I was the only one to respond.

Keep 'em comin' ! :guitar:

Everything's doing its job on this one, but it's the drum part that makes it for me. Good work.

Everything's doing its job on this one, but it's the drum part that makes it for me. Good work.
alright dobro!
thanks for listening!
the drums, yea, i spent a good amount of time writing and editing the drum track.
it's a pain, but worth it in the end.

Drums are so good, I want them "bigger" and wider. Mix is slightly on the "confined" side of the sound stage ... a little cramped center. Material is awesome. Really good performance.

Drums are so good, I want them "bigger" and wider. Mix is slightly on the "confined" side of the sound stage ... a little cramped center. Material is awesome. Really good performance.
well, that's a bit weird that you hear it 'confined', several of the guitars are hard panned left and right,
and the drums all have stereo overheads that are hard panned left and right,
and the toms are hard panned left/right...
the only drums in the middle are snare and kick....

i'll have to really focus on the playback to see what's going on..
almost sounds as if something in the playback folded to mono

on a subjective note,
if i were to make super wide drums,
they'd step on everything else.
i've got a lot of tracks going,
and everything has it's place in the stereo field....
sometimes there ARE compromises made for certain 'bigness' and 'spread', that were made simply to avoid masking or buildup.
i'm a drum freak too.... so i know what you are asking for...

working on the new mix now

thanks for the comments!

I just got done mixing some of my stuff, G - and the contrast in soundstage size hit my ears strongly. I wouldn't worry about the drums stompin' on everything so much. But the mix, to me, sound "hooded" and narrow. Might be tired ears, but that's what struck me.

and another guy wrote me a review and said it sounded 'HUGE'

LOL

and another said the guitars were too spread out...

and another said they couldn't hear the bass...

grains of salt here.
:giggle:

there's also a lot of talk about folks listening on headphones,
vs full range speakers... it's all over the map.

but yea, spreading things out is no problem.

Back