a new remix

Around

Hi,

Would appreciate some feedback on a remix I did on a old track by my brother and I. It's electronic.

Hey Around. Good to see you posting again. I remember this song from a few months ago. I liked it then and like it now. I dig a good electronic mix, and this one is pretty good. Space is the key, and you've got a lot of here. Good bass patch, drums are doing their job, that crash cymbal seems a little odd--loud enough to get noticed, but not enough to add emphasis or excitement. The big problem I have is the vocal processing. That warbling, pitch shifting effect adds nothing for me, and is unnecessary. The song is really more old-school synth pop--and that's fine. The vocal effects sound like you're trying to make it topical by copping some of the cliches of contemporary hip hop, r&b or bubble gum pop. Really, your voice carries the song without that addition. Sorry if that's too opinionated.

Stick around. Post more. I'd love to see more electronic music on the Clinic.

Thanks Robus for the feedback.

As for the crashes, do you mean I should make them a bit louder or do you think the sound is odd?

About the vocal processing do you mean that only the pitch shifting extra vocals in verse two are the problem or do you think the whole song's vocals are processed badly? And I agree that the extra vocals in verse 2 might be a bit forced to the song.

Thanks again.

I'm talking about obvious pitch shifting effects on the vocals, not subtle tuning, or the delay and ambiance. The lead vocal in the first verse sounds fine, apart from the very last word where you obviously added pitch shifting for effect. The background lead and backing vocal in your choruses sounded fine. I didn't didn't hear any obvious pitch shifting, just delay and reverb. Great chorus, BTW. It's not easy to make a chorus work by dropping the energy level, but you do it here and it works.

Where the vocal effects really become problematic is in your second verse. The lead vocal sounds deliberately mangled, to no advantage. It's all over that vocal, but especially at the end of the lines: "wrong," "long," etc. I'd just so much rather hear your vocal without that stuff.

But hey--just my subjective opinion. Millions or billions of listeners around the world must appreciate that robotic pitch shifting, as it has been the fad in pop music for a few years now. Maybe they're right and I'm wrong.

As for the crash, look for example at that left-right-left crash sequence you have around 1:01. They are too soft to be adding much excitement or punctuation, which is the traditional function of a crash. And yet they don't blend into the mix the way a ride or an open hat hit might. They just strike me as odd.

Hope this helps.

Back