A New/Old Ballad with Some Newer Gear

Title of this track is Tara's Smile. (some resemblance to some other classic soul song is intentional)

This was recorded using a TASCAM 2488 I recently received as a Anniversary/Christmas present. Used the onboard effects on this. (Some light reverb (studio model) and some over easy compression...not much more than that. Used a rescued from the trash bin (literally) Triton Le w/exb-smpl board for samples and drum loops, Roland XP-80 for the ELP pads, and Ensonig ESQ-1, Roland S-10 and Roland Alpha Juno 2 for ambient textures.

Mics used were SM58 (vocals) and 2 SM57 for miking the guitar amp.

Guitar used here was a Yamaha Pacifica 212QM with lot's of upgrades.
Amp used was a Crate GXT 100 w/Celestion G12M.

Song was written about the giver of the gift : )

Have at it. Help me make this better.

Listen Here: SoundClick artist: Musically Mr M - Pop General, Cool Jazz, World Music, R&B, Folk and Country (There's also an attachment if you can't get into SoundClick.)

Attachments

• Tara's Smile Demo 2.mp3
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
Hey, the top end of this needs putting on a leash. Especially some vocal syllables and the tsssh, followed by an aerosol kind of thing you have going on there, sounded like the wife dripping water on the hot side of the iron through my monitors. I'm not convinced the opening keyboard loop is in time with the beat. The vocal has a little too much reverb, although I appreciate this genre requires a fair bit. Very Savour Faire in parts, there are other sounds in the sample early on, which would do better if rhythmically in context. It'll be easier to judge the rest of the mix once the top end overload is reined in, promising stuff, good luck.

Tim

Thanks Tim for that insightful info. I was concerned about that "Hiss" after I got the mix together too. It initially didn't sound as pronounced (ear fatigue made it sound overly bassy to me) but as I listen now after taking my ears away from the project, I hear it too.

Locking that sample in time wise was difficult at best.......but you can actually hear the time variation....not wayout but enough for people like you myself will hear it. Again, thanks for the helpful advice Tim :)

This sounds really nice, smooth and jazzy! I really like the guitar playing too.. The vocal sounds to me like it might be a bit heavy on the reverb. The back vocal jumped out sometimes because the high end sizzle seemed over the top.. Overall I like it very much!

Sounds more or less right for the genre. Truthfully I only noticed the sizzle after reading the other posts, but yeah I guess you could tame that a little.

Back