A new cocktail blues

Jim Soloway

This is the latest song I've added to my current list. It's an old Frank Sinatra number that resurfaced about 10 years ago on a CD that BB King did with Dianne Schurr. It's really typical of a sound that I refer to as "Cocktail Blues". It's a sound I've loved for years and I seem to have been pretty much living in this groove for the last few months.

As usual, it's just me and the 7 string guitar. One of these days I may get adventurous and actually ask someone else to contribute to one of these recordings, but apparently not today :=).

'always an entertaining and pleasing listen Jim....
kinda moves me to reminiscing some of cooder and redbones stuff as well.

You get lots of nice flavors out of the guitar... ah... a "jazz" mix...
subtle standup bass (or acoustic bass gtr?) plus very subtle jazz tones on
gtr...

Everyone break out your smoking jackets, cigarette holders, fedoras... lets
go sit on the veranda and peek at the city of lights from the 15th floor...

This goes right into my "jazzy tunes" folder :D Thank you.

Chad

oooohhhh. this is smoooooth

wow, I am really diggin' this. Guitar is awesome, voice is very nice--a little dry but who cares with kind of quality.

That is really nice!

The bass sound of your 7-string is great. Reminds me of Charlie Hunter.

Very impressive.

Good playing, extremely good voice. Lovely.

How nice! Like that extra string-thing - I can't imagine playing one - gotta try it. Did you play and sing at the same time for the recording? Just curious. Cool pickin'. Really clean sound and nicely balanced.

Thanks!!
Milan

p.s. - you're from Portland - do you ever cross paths with a blues/surf picker named Jim Mesi?

Thanks all for the kind remarks.

Some answers and comments:

Frankly having the bass be "just a tiny bit heavy" is a great victory. Containing the bass on the 7 string without loosing all of the tone has been an enormous challenge, so just blowing out peoples speakers is a good thing.

No the vocals did not go down at the same time as the guitar. I often do, but I only have one decent mic and I was using it to record the guitar amp. Ironically, I didn't end up using that track anyway. What you're hearing instead is a direct line from the guitar amp to my mic pre.

And sorry, but no I don't know Jim Mesi. Since I gig as a solo and work quite a bit, I don't end up having much contact at all with the other players where I live. That's definitely the down side of working alone.

Back