A new acoustic tune

slkeen

2 years ago when I first started home recording, I did this song and put it up here. I got lots of feedback and input on the effort, which has helped me do better, I hope! This is a new version, actually about the 3rd time I've recorded it. Still not quite what I want, but getting pretty close. Feedback, input, comments needed.

Sometimes I Wonder ..... is the name

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/stevekeeneymusic.htm

Oh yeah, its not heavy - no electric guitars, no bass - but there are some BONGOS!

Sounds really good man. My biggest sonic "idea" I guess would be to maybe turn the fills (lead line over on the right) down a bit more whenever you're singing...It kinda' walks on the vocal a bit. In fact, it might be able to come down some throughout.

Stereo imaging is a little weird without a bass to center things (git on left, bongos on right) and it gets a tad "right heavy" when the lead is going...but that wasn't a big distraction on monitors at all...just on the cans.

I liked the lyrics, btw...probably not what you're looking for, but I usually try to comment whenever somebody has made an effort to write out an actual idea and carry it through the length of the tune.

Thanks Chris, I did a re-mix, taking your input to cut out some of the leads that step on the vocals, and getting the levels better. I appreciate your help! Steve

Hey man,..I'm really diggin' the acoustic sounds! Sounds really good!.
I have to say though,..this is only my opinion,....this tune does NOT need those bongos. Totally distracting. They take too much away fom the song.
The vocal track sounds really good as well. Nice job on that!
I would add more to this tune,..but I'm not sure what.

Good luck!

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

YO! The recording of it all is pleasant enough...but the mix?...Calwood mentioned bongos being "distracting". They are insistent in the middle of the mix AND the sound of them is annoying, However...I like the idea of the bongos...Use some EQ to bring out some more highs on the bongos...also...pan them throughtout the entire mix...constantly....slowly....that may help to keep the monotony of the bongo part from being so obvious.
The vocal in the 1st half of the song SCREAMS for a harmony part...Did you use compression on the lead acoustic gtr. part? If so...lose it..The strumming parts sound ok.
I didn't really care for the song as a songwriter tho...I felt it was rather boring.
The presentation of this song made me feel as if I were listening to musical amateur, which is not a bad thing. It's all part of the musical growth process man! You said this song was written 2 or 3 years ago. I'm sure you feel you've come quite a ways since then.
peace

Hey all, thanks for the input. I was on a BONGO high lately so I thought I'd try it here. Maybe not the best idea! I'll focus on new material and let sleeping dogs lie. I appreciate your opinions.

Back