A mulitpurpose bass

kikling

The deal is I was just accepted into a music school for guitar. But they now require the guitarist to know jazz bass. I know how to play bass but i don't have one and i don't know much about them. I have a budget of a $100-$250. I need a bass that is multi purpose as a jazz bass and a funk/rock/slapping bass. my choices are the yamaha rbx270 ($249) the ibanez gsr200 ($209) and thats it so far. Please if you have any other bass selections or advice about the basses i mentioned, please reply. Thanks

Give this a thought...

Look at used basses.

If you will only be using the bass for a learning experience
with guitar as your primary focus, look at used instruments in pawnshops. All caveats apply, especially to used equipment.
So check the instrument over thoroughly, or even better, have
a friend who plays bass, if possible, check out some with you.

However the two you mentioned are excellent choices. I would
tend to go toward the Yamaha, though.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Faithmonster

Even though I also own an Ibanez (SR885) I'd go with the Yammie 'cause it's well made and sounds good. Only other suggestion would be to try to find a used active model like the 460 or even the 560.Not necessary for fingerstyle but nice to have for slap.

I'd go with the Ibanez. I'm not a big fan of their guitars, but I like their basses. I think they are extremely versatile (particularly the SR or soundgear bass). I have small hands, and I like the necks. It might irritate someone with larger hands, so make sure you play one first.

Good luck, let us know which you buy.

For the record, I own a Fernandez Jazz style bass that I really like too. I think I'd rather own the Ibanez though.

Back