A matter of taste, but...

Mikeh,
I believe there is a Guitar Center here, but I haven't found it yet. I'm in the process of moving and haven't had time this week to find it. No Mars.
I'll check out the Evans heads also. Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't mind learning some jazz beats. Jazz sounds a little complicated to me, but it would a good way to expand my knowledge of rythym. Who would be to listen to for some good basics? I've seen some pretty good Jazz bands(or combos?) here. It involves quite a bit of finesse there. It's pretty awesome how soft yet dynamic it can be.
Thanks again.

Dan

Dan, for me jazz was a musical destination. I think jazz is where every musician must head to continue the process of development. I started playing drums in the 60's so I was originally influenced by Ringo and Watts - later by Moon, Mitchell, Palmer and Bonham. I was also influenced alot by the Motown drummers (ain't nothing better than a stanky groove). Then Cobham came along and that led me to Tony Williams and Jo Jones and all the other jazz cats.

I don't know if you read Modern Drummer mag. but in many of the interviews the drummers identify who they listen to or were influenced by. There are two interesting things that are a fairly common thread:

1) Most of the "name" drummers (in any musical style) have paid serious dues, and in many cases are formally trained

2) Many of the drummers have jazz chops and/or influences (even if those chops don't appear in the style they currently play)

If you're interested in learning some basic jazz chops, listen to any number of jazz records (from fusion to be-bop) - also there are several good videos which feature Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl, and many other great players.

Good luck with your move and with your search for cymbals/heads

drums

i play Yamaha stage customs and i'll tell you first hand that they sound the best for their price.. they even sound better than most other drums that are priced much much higher.. the only other brand i'd buy is DW but of course you pay for that logo. I play Zildjan A customs, not too thin, not too thick. sound just right. they aren't nearly as expensize as paiste but have a very good tone for the money.

Back