A Magnet Question

ADATlove

What's a safe distance for magnetically sensative materials (mainly tapes)? I'm thinking specifically about how close I can have tapes to my monitor speakers because the optimal location for my tape machine is about 10 or so inches from the closest speaker. And how close is too close for a demagger? Most things I read point to 3 feet as the magic number.

ADATlove said:
What's a safe distance for magnetically sensative materials (mainly tapes)? I'm thinking specifically about how close I can have tapes to my monitor speakers because the optimal location for my tape machine is about 10 or so inches from the closest speaker. And how close is too close for a demagger? Most things I read point to 3 feet as the magic number.

I would say that is a good rule of thumb. Using nearfield mon. is generally safe. My machine is aprox. 2' away from the mon. Havnt had a problem at all. As far as a demag, make sure the tape is nowhere close. Make sure to correct me if I am wrong.

magnetic fields get exponentially stronger when distance is halved.

THey also get exponentially weaker when distance is doubled.

So, uh, just be safe. I'd keep tape at LEAST 9-10 feet away from a demagger when it's plugged in, just to be on the safe side.

I left some tape loops in a drawer below the machine while demagging it. They were about 1.5 feet from the demagger. I put one of them on the machine just now and it still seems to be okay, but I wouldn't do it again.

FALKEN said:
can you use a demagger to erase tape if you wanted to? is this normal?
Yes, but a bulk-eraser is usually better for that job. I have seen some weird devices that claim to be able to do both jobs, though.

Back