A little tribute to Brother Ray...

I've only heard Willie Nelson's version of this.

Sounds like you pulled out all the stops on this production. I can't fault it. Vocals are very cool

This is done very well, and the recording is nice, though the drums sound pretty stiff.

The biggest problem I have is with the vox. They're very good (you're a very good singer), but it's too similar to Ray Charles in my opinion. I know you said it's a tribute, and if you're just doing your best to reproduce the sound of his version as an exercise in recording, then that's one thing. But if this is your tribute to him (as in "your version"), I would say that you'd need to put a little more personality into it. It sounds like you're doing your best Ray impression (and it's a really good one), and this just kind of leaves me wanting to hear the original.

People have different ideas on "cover versions," and my opinion (FWIW) is always that the original has already been done, so why try to do it that way? Everyone would always rather listen to the original. But if you do your own thing with it, you give people a reason to listen. That's just my own opinion.

Like I said, though, good work.

I hear you, Beagle, and I agree. In fact, I've been re-thinking my execution of covers and have come to the same conclusion. From here on out I'm doing originals, covers that virtually no one has heard before (almost as good as doing originals) and covers done in an orginal and unique way. I have several note for note covers that don't have the vocals yet that I may post from time to time, but new projects will have this requirement.

Thanks for the listen and comments.

Dan,
The string line that comes in a 44 sec doesn't sound real until it gets to the long notes. Until then it's very synth.
Apart from that & the previously made comment that the drums are stiff (they hold the rhythm martially but they don't swing) this is bloody good though.
The whole covers thing is a vexed one. It's a bit like the tribute band phenomena that has taken over live gigs in Australia. People, for some reason prefer the known & comfortable even in carbon copy.
I usually don't comment on cover unless the poster is after mix/recording info as they are what they are. Sometimes the work is brilliant sometimes passioantely done. I applaud your new direction particularly as you certainly have your recording & playing chops up to scratch.

Really nice job on the vocal and piano. I thought you had taken a Ray Charles recording and just added artificial strings to it.

I'd pull the strings back a lot and put the piano up front with the vocal.

nice job

Dan Barnes said:
I hear you, Beagle, and I agree. In fact, I've been re-thinking my execution of covers and have come to the same conclusion. From here on out I'm doing originals, covers that virtually no one has heard before (almost as good as doing originals) and covers done in an orginal and unique way. I have several note for note covers that don't have the vocals yet that I may post from time to time, but new projects will have this requirement.

Thanks for the listen and comments.

vocals blew me away Dan...I heard Travis Tritt do this song and thought he did a great job but not better than you.

Back