A little help whith some scales!!!

guitarjesus said:
Now you are getting ridiculous TEX.

We need to jam, and I can show you a few things.

You probably could. My guitar chops suck.

I'm mainly a piano player/composer and they have the same arguements. Many players think that by being ignorant they are being more 'creative'. The truth is they are just rediscovering what somebody else did long ago. They just don't know it.

Having a solid theory base allows me to pick up just about any instrument and be able to start playing it once I learn the mechanics and know where the notes are. It also allows me to communicate those ideas verbally or on paper to other musicians in a clear and concise way.

Your arguements against learning theory is like saying all you need to know is how to speak and learning to read/write will only stifle your conversation abilities.

Besides, who gives a fuck if something is unusual. My 3yr old can play something unusual. Writing music that is good is the challenge.

so, um.... ok, well...... lest's see....
oh yeah augmented and diminished chords and scales, hmmm... welll, um..... =(

Typically, I would keep my melody inside of the dynamics of the chord it is sitting on. That dosnt always occur, but, what is your question again! ha.

guitarjesus said:
Now you are getting ridiculous TEX.

We need to jam, and I can show you a few things.

Post some of your music in the clinic and WE will be the judge of whether or not you have anything to show.;)

Hey Ostiaman - here is a simple approach to the diminished over dominant. The 3rd and 7th of a dom chord make a tritone, or a diminished 5th depending on what you want to call it. These are the two color notes of the chord. If you start by playng the dim arpeggio by building it off of the 3rd or 7th, you are likely to get a cool sound without too much difficulty. Then think of the rest of the scale as passing/leading tones and experiement with the tension and resolution of those notes.

By seeing the tritone in the chord first and relating the dim arpeggio to that, you are training yourself to automatically and/or physically respond/ relate the chord shape with the possible licks - THEN YOU CAN FORGET IT AND PLAY!

peace.

carlosguardia said:
Here´s a cool trick that might help in using diminished arpeggios to create that cool dim sound.

A diminished chord is composed of consecutive minor 3rds. Using 12 interval temperament to the octave, the diminished chord, unusual sounding as it may be, fits, mathematically quite well given you advance 3 semitones from the root to obtain the 3rd, 3 more for the flat 5th and 3 more for the double flat 7th, advance 3 more and you`re at the octave!! In the key of C, (all the "white" notes on a piano) you can start to build a diminished chord starting at the 7th (B). The chord would end up being B, D, F, G#. Now, G# is not in the key of C right?! But in it´s relative minor, A, it´s in the harmonic minor so, here´s the trick:

You can always use a diminished arpeggio of the second degree of a minor tonality (in the case of A minor use the Bdiminished arpeggio) especially over the dominant chord to create that cool diminished sound!!!

Carlos

That's a really long way to say play an E7 flat 9 arpeggio.

Back