A little bluegrass Cat Stevens

HeyHeyMyMy

Red Member
My apologies for the misnomer; it's not really bluegrass. Anyway:

My housemates enjoy this tune, so I thought I'd do up a little version of it for them. It's Cat Stevens' song "If You Want to Sing Out," and I haven't messed around with EQ or anything yet; wanted to see what everything would sound like with just a little 'verb added. My MP3 converter is garbage, so I apologize if there any sudden little chorus effects clouding the song. It shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for taking a listen.

Last edited:
I've been on a bit of a Cat Stevens kick lately, so I was interested in your take on this. I like it. I'm not sure I'd call it Bluegrass, though. It does have banjo, but seems to be lacking something - maybe needs a more traditional 3 part vocal harmony. It's good the way it is, just not what I'd consider bluegrass. (but I'm no BG expert, so who knows)

Also, I think you could step up the tempo quite a bit, and it might give it more of a BG feel.

I like the vocals - reminds me of Woody Guthrie.;)

I have to listen at a pretty low volume on crappy work computer speakers, so it's difficult to offer any useful crit.

I've been on a bit of a Cat Stevens kick lately, so I was interested in your take on this. I like it. I'm not sure I'd call it Bluegrass, though. It does have banjo, but seems to be lacking something - maybe needs a more traditional 3 part vocal harmony. It's good the way it is, just not what I'd consider bluegrass. (but I'm no BG expert, so who knows)

Also, I think you could step up the tempo quite a bit, and it might give it more of a BG feel.

I like the vocals - reminds me of Woody Guthrie.;)

I have to listen at a pretty low volume on crappy work computer speakers, so it's difficult to offer any useful crit.

Haha, yeah, I wasn't necessarily going for a bluegrass vibe when I recorded it, so I apologize for the misnomer. I just went with 'bluegrass' in the title since there was banjo and mando in the song. Stupid and ignorant of me, really. I'll see if I can't change the title of the thread.

Sounds good. :) I got a warm cozy feeling from the bass. but coming from me it may be a tad to loud then! hehe

Back