a great trick for mastering

onmoris

First off, thanks to those who helped me figure out that group channels in cubase can function like busses in Pro Tools. The reason I was asking was so I could figure out how to do an easy way this cool little trick from Pro Tools (and analog boards) in Cubase.

In the mastering stage, this will give you independent control over the center and the sides of your stereo mix (think of the stereo mix as having a discrete left and right as well as a center).

In most pop music, the bass, kick, usually the snare, and vocal will be panned center. The sides (L and R) will be filled with other things like guitars, keyboards, strings, whatever. In some cases, the only thing that is on the sides of the stereo image might be a stereo reverb.

This is useful because it would allow you to, say, compress or limit the stuff in the middle without affecting the stuff on the sides. Or, in the case of a narrow stereo image, you can adjust the actual width of the stereo image without having to buy (or steal if you use a PC...) a waves plug in. You do it like this:

1. Open up your stereo mix to a stereo track and label it "source." Create a mono group track and label it "Sum."

2. Mix down your stereo mix into separate L and R channels (stereo split). Hard pan accordingly. Phase flip the left channel.

3. Mix down the those two tracks (the L and R- ) into a mono track. You can call it "Difference1."

4. Copy the new file to a new track (call it difference 2) and phase flip one of them. Pan the phase flipped one hard left and the original difference track right.

5. Go to the source track and send the mix to the sum group channel, and make it prefader. Then turn the fader of the source down all the way. The fader for the sum group channel now controls the mono version, or center of your stereo mix.

6. Create a stereo group channel and call it sides.

7. Go to the two difference tracks and send them to the Sides group channel and make them prefader. Then turn the fader of the difference tracks down al the way. The fader for the sides group channel now controls the information that gave your original file its stereo image.

Your two group faders now control the stereo image. Mute the sides channel and you have a narrow stereo image. The more sides you add in the wider your stereo image. Then you can also experiment with other things - eq just the center to get the right vocal sound. Add an effect to the sides channel and it will only affect stuff recorded in stereo, like guitars or cymbals or whatever.

Have fun.
You can message me if you didn't understand somethign or i didn't explain it good enough.

- side note:
You can skip all the group channel business by just mixing down at each stage. All you need is a mono version of the stereo mix, a mono version of the sides (which you get by phase flipping either the L or R channel of your mix and summing the result), and a phase flipped version of the sides. Mono goes center, and the original mono side hard panned one way and the phase flpped mono side the other way. Group the two side channels and you're good to go.

pro tools really does have great software. i agree though that their whole hardware policy is a slightly fascist, especially given their hardware...though as a piece of software it has its benefits. it really does.

looks like this plug in does the gain control for the mid and the sides but you have to deccorelate the mid from the sides manually if you want to do anything to it besides change the balance (eq, compression, etc.)

this certainly adds to the seperation mastering i read a lot about too. in memory, the more possible combinations of valid things to try, the better.

onmoris said:
looks like this plug in does the gain control for the mid and the sides but you have to deccorelate the mid from the sides manually if you want to do anything to it besides change the balance (eq, compression, etc.)
Yes that's true - you have more control the way you've described since you are actually still at the mix stage. I just use mono/side to remaster tapes and whatnot - to help dig out the good stuff. I end up having track 1 as a MONO track (L+R) and track 2 as the SIDE track (L-R) - then add EQ/Comp/Transient control (tape eats these) to each track as needed. Then Decode back to Stereo Matrix.

You've got something interesting there - you could actually have a discrete MONO center coming up from the mixing side of things (since you still have all the tracks). Taking a 2-track stereo master on my side of the fence (post-mix + master) I never actually have the center, there is always a portion of either the Left or Right in it.

So...I was wondering if it might be fun to kindof save full m/s matrix and stereo as seperate "stems". In other words save a buss marked MID, a buss called LEFT (and all degrees left), a buss called RIGHT (and all degrees right). I guess this would be the instrument only mix (Left/Right) or the acappela mix (MID only) that you get on some CD's. Running a vocal extractor from the post-master side to try and get to the actual center just sounds wierd...sometimes I try that to see how much power I actually have (not much!)...

True - this is basically MS except there's an extra step involved. With MS you just have to decode the signal into a stereo image. Here you're starting with a stereo image and encoding into the equivalent of an MS signal (a mid and a side) and then decoding back into a stereo image you control.

Back