a good Home Recording magazine

guttadaj

Couldn't quite figure out the best forum for this, but hopefully some folks here can help me out.

I currently have a subscription to Electronic Musician which is about to expire. I've found that, on occasion, I find some useful nuggets in there, but for the most part, I find that a lot of the stuff is geared towards more professional recordists, and the equip they review is often way out of my price range.

I was told about HomeRecordingMag a while back by some folks here and was going to subscribe to that one instead, but I went to the web site homerecordingmag.com, and it said that they've suspended publication. :(

Can anyone recommend a good magazine that would be aimed more towards a home recording hobbyist?

Thanks! :)
-Jeff

You'll get better, less biased information from BBS's like this where folks actually using the gear in a home or semi-pro environment can report on how well it does what it's supposed to do.

Plus, there isn't a magazine on earth that can match the accumulated knowledge base and bring it all to you in real time of sites such as this.

When you're having dropouts at 1am on Sunday morning, WTF are you gonna do???

I'd say go for TapeOp, it is free, and they have some great articles about recordings done on less than a shoestring budget.

But if you want the very latest info about the very latest hardware, sw, bugs, and bug fixes, and practical solutions to complex problems you're a lot better off on the net.

Besides, we don't charge extra for double posts.

:cool:
I agree with C7; this BBS is by far the best overall resource I've found. Other really good resources are at Recordingproject and the VS-Planet, both well worth the time.

For magazines, Tape Op is great.
Anther interesting one is Digital Recording.

Finally, there is a new publication out where each issue is a specialty theme. Comes with a CD, lots of marketing, but worth a look see if you don't mind ponying up $ 15 now and then. The last issue was called Mixing - sort of self explanatory. It is mostly a Cubase tutorial, but pretty neat in that it presented ideas graphically with lots of screen shot imagery, which is kind of how I think. It clicked, at least for that issue.

c7sus said:
You'll get better, less biased information from BBS's like this where folks actually using the gear in a home or semi-pro environment can report on how well it does what it's supposed to do.

Plus, there isn't a magazine on earth that can match the accumulated knowledge base and bring it all to you in real time of sites such as this.
Agreed! But I can't take this BBS into the loo with me. :eek: :D

Thanks for the TapeOp recommendation, guys! :) Looks great, and you just can't beat that price!! :D Just signed up for my free subscription!

And, I'll take a look at the Digital Recording mag you mention, Treeline.

Thanks again, everyone! :)

Recording magazine would also be useful (although their reviews are often too forgiving) -- their articles are generally well-written and contain good, useful info.

I like Recording Magazine, although EM has a much friendlier website. Check out Computer Music UK, too. It's only sporadically available here but always useful.

On the downside, I've gotten a couple of free issues of EQ and Pro Audio Review, and they are not oriented to home recordists as much. I won't be getting any more.

Yeah I like Sound on Sound.
They do a regular column called Studio SOS where they go visit some guy out in the sticks and help him sort out his studio/recording/mixing problems.

They also do interviews with real engineers who've worked on real albums, and describe how they got their sounds

i've read em all at one point or another, and the only two i bother to subscribe to these days are Tape Op and Recording Magazine. i fully agree with BlueBear on Recording's "reviews", as well. they DO give "bad" reviews on occasion, but they're always 'sugarcoated' as to not piss off the vendors.......

tape op is run by people who really run studios for a living, and it's the single best piece of in-print reading you'll find.

cheers,
wade

When I returned to doing the music recording thing about a year and a half ago, I bought a subscription to "Home Recording" as it was a perfect fit for my knowledge base at the time. Then, HR went under, and I received a free replavcement subscrpition to "Recording" magazine, and like others have said, the reviews seem to be a bit biased (i.e.: every product they review is worth purchasing, or so they say...), but they DO have excellent articles. Well worth the *free* price!! :D I think I'll probably renew the subscription once it's up, as it's fairly inexpensive and has always been a good read.

I also get "Tape OP" which is easily the best deal out there ...FREE!!

-mr moon

Tape op is all right. There is usually 1 or 2 good interviews with actual professionals that are competent at their craft. The rest of the magazine is stuffed with intereviews with dumbass DIY folks so the magazine can appear hip and indie. The recent tape op with the interview with the "engineer" (the drummer?) from the shins was hilarious in an unitentional way. Be very wary of advice from these types of characters. I've noticed a lot of computer advice from the mag is inaccurate also. Jesus Trey Anastasio just came on charlie rose! What has the world come to? Another mediocre musician who takes himself too seriously. Another low point for music and PBS.

Back