A good day brings more decisions...

bean....

I went into the GC here for the first time today, just going to look (with my hands, of course) at everything, and I walked by the glass mic case and saw a TLM 103 for $799. I thought it was a mistake or something, so I asked the guy (who is the opposite of the GC employee stereotype of having no idea what theyre selling - as we talked for 15 minutes comparing this mic to others in the range and his personal experiences with the mic as well as his extensive recording career and use of all of the Neumanns and all of the other mics in the range) and he confirmed it. It was the last one and the price was gonna go back up to $975 at the end of the month. So, I gave in and got it. I've heard mixed reviews here, but I felt like going by his word and experience.

So now, with a max of $400, would I want to go with a complementing mic (sticking with the Digi002 pre's), or step up to an outboard pre. With this mic, and all mics I guess, does it really need the right preamp to sound the way it should?

Once I get the Digi002r, I will defs play with it and the onboard pre's, but just from peoples experiences, as the sound is only as good as its weakest link, would these pres be that weakest link? (hopefully, it won't be the music)

Also, I've heard this mic paired with a really clean preamp can get pretty sterile. But also, I've heard when miking gtr amps, the OD can sound a little dirty, so would a complementing, maybe warmer?, mic go along happily?

Lastly, the Max SPL is 138 db (no pad). How hard is it to break through that? Would miking an OD el. gtr from maybe a foot away gonna blow it out?

Thank you everyone. All advice/knowledge is cool.

bean.... said:
Lastly, the Max SPL is 138 db (no pad). How hard is it to break through that? Would miking an OD el. gtr from maybe a foot away gonna blow it out?

I think you're safe. 138dB is getting up there close to jet engine level. A guitar cab is usually more like 105dB max. So unless you're micing firearms at the muzzle, you should be OK.

Consider that if you're wearing plugs, 138dB would be about 110dB at your ear, which isn't easy to tolerate for any length of time.

Here's a cool chart:

http://home.new.rr.com/trumpetb/audio/dBexamp.html

edit: I should change this to say your mic is safe. You should consider OSHA standards for hearing protection, which is 1 hour unprotected at 105dB. My personal standard is stricter, above 95dB for any length of time I wear plugs.

Thanks man,

As for the preamp Q. I have seen people talk about the DMP3 with high regards - would that be quality enough to look at for the TLM? I have also seen people talk about the Joe Meeks. Those look interesting, would they give a different (possibly good) sound to the mix?

Back