A good 1st keyboard for an utter newbie...

faithmonster

Greets to all.

The subject says it all- I'm a newbie and I'm
looking for a good first keyboard. It can be
new or if I have good info, I have at least 60 pawnshops I can browse. Software is Cakewalk Pro Audio ver.9 and Cool Edit Pro.
Any ideas or recommendations of senior members welcome here- after all we all start
at the beginning somewhere...?:-)

Not in Kansas anymore
Faithmonster

First thing, PLAY it. Touch it feel it hear it, check out the key action, how it feels to ya. Do you need midi capability? Will you be using it live also? For my budget and for what I needed (writing/recording) I went with Yahmaha Porta tone PSR-530, 61 keys...61 keys is big enough for me, 'cause I don't perform anywhere...it has lots of different voices, some really good, some so-so, but for the money it's fine...I enjoy the key action, it has a bit of volume control in the keys, like a piano...the synth sounds are very cool.....but of course, I'd like a top of the line Big Name keyboard, but for my purposes this is great....gibs

if you want some real audio gear, purchase
an ASR-10 ($$$) they should be low in price
now, this has 8 tracks, a sampler, effects,
and make sure you get the 8 outputs in the back, should run you $900-1100

but if you want the Yamaha PSR that's cool
to, but in any event you want to sell, or try
to attain a deal, the PSR isnt the best start
but for home fun, and practice, then yeah.

Another option ....

Get a good MIDI keyboard controller and then have fun shopping around for one or more sound modules from the pawnshops. It's neat and easily upgradable ?

Thanks Hongteck.

Any recommendations for a keyboard
controller and sound modules? These
items are available locally for me,
and of several different brands.
Your opinion is appreciated greatly.

Faithmonster

Thanks Gibs.

Definitely will not be going live, MIDI capability is good, and 61 keys is fine.
I may have found one here locally.Will keep you posted.

Faithmonster

Back