A first look at the new Studio projects T3 Tube mic

The NTK doesn't spec out the same as the T3. The NTK offers only one pattern – cardioid. The T3 offers omni, cardioid and figure-8 w/ 9 selectable variations. The different variations actually changes the EQ response of the mic, which gives much more flexibility and sonic sculpturing capabilities. If someone has an NTK they're willing to send me for a couple of days, I'll check it out. The list price on the NTK went from $595 to $995 not too long ago.

Two mics that may be interesting – and spec out similar to a T3 – are the Nady TCM 1050 and the ADK Area 51 TT. I've made arrangements to audition a TCM 1050 soon for a comparison. ADK passed themselves off as Audio DeutchKraft for a while, claiming to be German-made mics. They lied. I'm not interested in their products.

Alan,

I got my C-1 today. Very impressed with the nice little case it came in.

How does the included wind screen compare to using a pop filter?

I've got a really busy weekend and week ahead, but I'm gonna steal a little time this weekend to try the mic out.

Taylor

No offense DOT but either you are:

1. Alan Hyatt
2. Work for the same company as Alan Hyatt
3. A groupie

Who are you?

I'm sure the T3 is a nice mike, but it is creeping me out the way, you echo everything Alan says. For example about the ADK mikes, and the fact that you arrived at this board and have done nothing except praise the Studio Projects mikes.

And I say put the NTK up against the T3. If the T3 is all it's cracked up to be, it should be an interesting comparison.

And DOT I may be totally off base, but geeze it would be nice to see more healthy scepticism from others here.

Anyway I've got to go scrape silver paint off my body. Anything for rock n roll.

-Jett

jet-rocker, I'm not Alan. I live in NYC and worked as an engineer in commercial studios for quite a few years. I've also been heavily involved in studio and systems design. I've worked w/ a lot of high-end equipment and am familiar w/ what a great tube mic can do.

As far as praise, yes on the C1 I have nothing but praise. It's an amazing mic.

On the T3, I'd like to see a cut-off switch around 120Hz or so, and I'd like some db pads. -10db and -20 db would be great. I'm still working w/ the T3 and haven't come to any conclusions. So far, it's very impressive.

You can find over 3000 posts of mine at the http://www.vsplanet.com

As far as an NTK comparison, if someone will get one to me, I'll compare the mics.

MrZekeMan

Glad you like what you see. More importantly, I hope your impressed with what you hear. I am sure the group will be interested, as you have been following this one for a while.

The supplied windscreen reduces the higher end frequencies at about 12K by 2 or 3 db, so I would not use it, unless you think it works well for a particular application. It is supplied by 797 in the case, so I leave it in there. They simply add it in.

I suggest a pop filter like a popper stopper if you need one, or make one yourself. That is the best way to use it, although you may want to try it without one first. The proximity at 4 to 10" is great and it does not crap out up close either, so if you do not hear any pops, you probably dont need one.

For the record, I prefer to make them, as everytime I remove some beauties pantyhose, I get a surprise, and new filter. ROFLOL :)

Dot said:
ADK passed themselves off as Audio DeutchKraft for a while, claiming to be German-made mics. They lied. I'm not interested in their products.

Dot,

I know who you are from the planet. I certainly don't call into question your integrity at all.

But why exclude ADK because of their lacking veracity. That's sort of the "C7sus" (no offense intended) line of reasoning.

Everyone can make there own choice of who to exclude from their purchase options on moral grounds. C7 won't buy anything Chinese because of conscience. Others may decide to exclude ADK in order to exact punitive vengeance upon them for their dishonesty.

But really, what does this have to do with the quality of product? Either ADK builds a nicer sounding mic than Alan or they don't. I for one wouldn't like to see any mic excluded from the comparison game because of ill feeling toward the manufacturer. I don't care if they eat their children.

Taylor

P.S. If they eat their children I won't buy their mics, but I still want to know what they build and how it stacks up.

Hey Zeke, I'm not necessarily in the comparison game. I will compare mics that I can get my hands on w/ the ones that I have and the many mics I have used before. But I don't have a magic wand that instantly makes all the various mic currently available just appear in my studio. : )

I don't have access to an NTK or to any ADK's. I'd certainly check out an ADK if I could get one, though I don't know if I'd buy it. The Area 51TT retails – I believe – for around $1600, so it would cost considerably more than the T3.
The only reason I'll be checking out the Nady 1050, is because I have an online buddy who's buying one and will send it to me for a few days. We've exchanges some mics before, and I have just sent a C1 to him so he try it out for himself.

BTW, on pop filters, I'd highly recommend one from these guys.
http://www.popfilter.com

Dot,

Fair enough.

Does the duel pop filter make a difference. I have a single right now. But it doesn't seem to be doing the job.

I need to do some work on getting rid of sibilance, maybe play around with mic placement.

Taylor

MrZekeMan said:
I don't care if they eat their children.

WHAT?!?!?! Alan Hyatt eats his children?!?!?! I am going to contact the authorities!!!!

(Watching the internet rumor mill spin into action... :D :D :D )

KaBudokan said:
WHAT?!?!?! Alan Hyatt eats his children?!?!?! I am going to contact the authorities!!!!

It won't do you any good. He's already consumed all the evidence.

You should see his C-1 look-alike styled salt and pepper shakers.

Hey, I thought I asked you to keep the Salt & Pepper shakers a secret. Now I will have to scrap that idea and make the C1 MIDI toilet paper holder instead. LOL :D

BTW, I don't have children...I have adults. :eek: I'm Old!

alanhyatt said:
MrZekeMan

Glad you like what you see. More importantly, I hope your impressed with what you hear. I am sure the group will be interested, as you have been following this one for a while.

Well I stole a little time tonight, or I should say this morning, and tried out the C-1. I have to say I like the mic. To me, it seems to have a little more presence than the V67. That might be because it's has a lower s/n and I had the pre turned up higher than the stuff I recorded with the V67. Then again, it could be in my mind. I didn't have time to put them side by side. That would be the only fair comparison. I'll try that later and report.

It also definitely was smoother on the high end to me. I sang a falsetto part for a chorus and it without a doubt sounded better than the same part sang through the V67. Again, it was recorded on a different day, but the today's tracking definitely sounded better. I'll have a more conclusive report when I put them side by side.

I also tried one of my MXL 603s's. I likes. I tried it on acoustic guitar. Very crisp and clean. Not to boomy as my v67 and C3000B had tended to be on the acoustic. Of course part of my problem was mic placement no doubt. I'm looking forward to trying the mics in the X Y configuration and see how they sound.

Goodnight to all,

Zekeman

P.S. BTW the 603's have mogami stamped on the mics and they didn't come from Mars either. ;)

Well, Zeke, you can get an MC012 for $149 at Guitar Center or they'll sell you a pair for something like $200.

If you've seen my posts, I use to tell everyone to go to Taylor at sound-room.com, but I've warmed up to GC – 'cause it's a great store w/ great people working there – and as long as you you check out some of the MC012's yourself, you should be OK. Consider it an adventure. : )

Oh, on the popfilter question; well, I've been really happy w/ the http://www.popfilter.com double filter. I've needed to apply no de-essing when using the filter. They have a lot of top clients and they're handmade in NY. Technology and all, you understand.

Damn Dot! :)
You really do sound like a commercial for about 20 different products. Its almost like you work for every one of them or something! :)
I still want someone to get a damn NTK and NT1000 and do some hardcore testing. NTK's are supposed to be going up $300 this next month.
Whats the new word on the T3? And wheres Harvey with these C1 comparisons? :)
Paul

I'll have to check out the Octava mic in a couple of weeks when I go see my brother in Dallas. I probably won't get one at that time however. My number one priority right now is a set of monitors.

I'm trying to mix on headphones and a set of behind-the-seat truck boxes. It's been an exercise in futility. The mixes sound great but when I burn a CD it never translates well to other systems. The vocals will be too loud, and the Baritone parts will be overpowering the other parts. I end up with a bunch of coasters trying to get it right.

At least I have a few good mics. I can keep tracking until I get the monitors. I'm kind of leaning towards the JBL LSR25p's I'm gonna listen to some monitors when I get to Dallas too.

Then next on my agenda is nice preamp. That's pretty far down the road, because I want a really nice one. I'll have to save my duckies for awhile no doubt.

Taylor

Back