A first attempt at a B3 simulation

Jim,

Fun listen for this former B3er! Before listening , I thought to myself ," here we go...... another cheezy synth patch discovered :rolleyes:"!
Once I realized that you were doing an emulation of a B3 on your axe, I kicked back a had fun with it!
Way cool, man. You def got that " loungy, smokey" aura happening. It would be great if you could simulate the "rotor spin "@ different speeds , huh?
Good job, dude!!
Hope you don't mind me attaching this " B3 add" to your post! It's good for a few chuckles and I felt it was appropriate.:)
peace,
Ralph

Attachments

• hammond.jpg
    hammond.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the comments, and what a very cool photo.

I've tried playing through a real Leslie and it really was amazing. Unfortunately, so were the weight and the size. I suspect that's one purchase that would have to wait until I hit a lottery to pay for a house that was big enough to house a beast like that.

Jim,

Nice guitar playing, but that is the problem with this if you want to bill it as a B-3 simulation. You are playing guitar player voicings! I know it's hard, if not damn-near impossible, to play block chords voiced like an organist would, but I think it would sound more like it with some small fourth-y voicings and some sparser chords, even though the fullness will not really be there.

Have you ever heard Charlie Hunter's B-3 simulation?

AlChuck said:
Jim,

Nice guitar playing, but that is the problem with this if you want to bill it as a B-3 simulation. You are playing guitar player voicings! I know it's hard, if not damn-near impossible, to play block chords voiced like an organist would, but I think it would sound more like it with some small fourth-y voicings and some sparser chords, even though the fullness will not really be there.

Have you ever heard Charlie Hunter's B-3 simulation?

Many times and he does it incredibly well. Clearly, if I really want to do this, I need to spend more time working on the "organistic" aspect of the playing, but hey, I was impressed when I just heard the sound.

Very nice playing man....doesn't sound like a B-3 to me though......sounds like a guitar thru a leslie....what kind of leslie effect did you use?

It's the rotary speaker effect in a Yamaha DG Stomp.

I remeber producing a session about 10 years ago where I has a keyboard player using a B3 patch. I was trying to get him to sound more like a real organ and what ever he played, I just kept saying "play less". Time to take my own advice.

Back