A few songs I've done recently! Care to take a listen?

Hoodoomoo

First one is Fix You by Coldplay with my friend Sarah, I didn't have any drum mics at the time so I tried to make it with two SM58's and it didnt turn out the best.. other than that what do you think?

This one is Go On with my little bro, same as before, no drum mics... and my monitoring equitment is not the best, but what do you think?

And the last one I did the other day right after I got some drum mics! Still testing them out, and found the kick wasn't up loud enough, but once again, what do you think?

Hey hoodoomoo - I can't stand Coldplay or that Fix You song that they drone through, so I gave that one a miss I'm afraid. I did listen to the other two, and I think you've got great potential. The sound and the playing is very nice, you just need to sort out your recording setup.

There are huge amounts of recording hiss on those two I heard - you can see just how thick the band of noise is on the waveforms before the music starts. I'd guess you're turning the mic's up too much when trying to get an adequate recording level - positioning etc definitely needs looking at to find a balance between the pre-amp boost and the hiss.

There's not much air in the mixes either. The guitar on the last one sounds a little boxy and I guess there's not much going on about 6K. The treatment on the vocals sounds really cool, but if you're sacrificing the high frequencies there I reckon you need to keep them somewhere else in the mix. It's a trap I fall into too.

I guess the 2nd and 3rd songs are both covers (though I don't know the originals) and I think you could have an excellent sound if you kept up the playing quality on some originals and resolved the issues with your recording setup :)

The first two songs have a very clear and distinct sound to them, and your sister sings great, but my favourite is definately the last one. There is some obvious hiss going on there probably due to a preamp or something but for some strange reason it's almost like I think it brings more atmosphere to the song. I think it sounds really good.

Back