A few questions from a newbie.

ThePhoenix

Hi there!

I've been recording at home on my PC with Cakewalk Home Studio and a regular old mic. I orignally got interested in recording just to make a few demo songs for my band, but now i think i am interested in making something that sounds more professional, and i want to know a few things:

1) Do most professionals use computers or multitrack recorders? Would i be better off buying a computer specifically for recording, or a recorder such as this?

3) If using the computer is better, what is the best software to use?

4) What is a preamp? What does it do? and do i need one for each instrument?

5) what makes condensor mics different than regular?

6) What is compression and how do you do it on cakewalk?

7) Right now, with my regular mic (i think it's an Audix) my acoustic guitar and my clean electrion tone sound fabulous, but my distortion sounds pretty bad. is it the mic, or maybe the angle i have it at?

If anyone could answer a few of these questions (especially the first one) i'd appreciate it.

1) Do most professionals use computers or multitrack recorders? Would i be better off buying a computer specifically for recording, or a recorder such as this?
computers by my knowledge. That way you have unlimited ability to upgrade...

Most pro studios use Pro Tools, but there are lots of good software around. I use Tracktion which is distributed by Mackie.

Preamp takes the mic or instruments sound levels and boosts them up to line level. Also, preamps are often used to provide phantom power for condencer mics.

In simple works, they pick up the sound better and you get more realistic sound. But for some applications, dynamics are better to use.

not really sure if you are asking about compressors or compressions.

7) Right now, with my regular mic (i think it's an Audix) my acoustic guitar and my clean electrion tone sound fabulous, but my distortion sounds pretty bad. is it the mic, or maybe the angle i have it at?
are you miking the amp? just try to change the angle and position of the mic. Does the distortion sound OK from the amp compared to what is recorded?

Some pros use either one. You dont have to buy a brand new computer just buy more memory for the one you have, also you should buy an external hard drive that connects with a simple USB plug. Use that hard drive for your recordings.

Good software to use is Steinberg "cubase" (LE SL SX) LE is cheaper.

Codensor mics makes your sounds more bold and clear. Regular or Stage mics just deliver your sound to a speaker.

To put it so you will understand, To compress a sound is to basicly smooth the frequency of the sound. Imagine a lump of clay thats really rugged to compress this lump of clay you would smash it and smooth it out with your hand, thats what a compressor does to sounds. Compressors come in modules or plug in form.

the maestro said:
Some pros use either one. You dont have to buy a brand new computer just buy more memory for the one you have, also you should buy an external hard drive that connects with a simple USB plug. Use that hard drive for your recordings.

Codensor mics makes your sounds more bold and clear. Regular or Stage mics just deliver your sound to a speaker.

To put it so you will understand, To compress a sound is to basicly smooth the frequency of the sound. Imagine a lump of clay thats really rugged to compress this lump of clay you would smash it and smooth it out with your hand, thats what a compressor does to sounds. Compressors come in modules or plug in form.

Dude, you need to check your facts before posting..

"You dont have to buy a brand new computer just buy more memory for the one you have, also you should buy an external hard drive that connects with a simple USB plug."

Depends on the computer, all the RAM in the world ain't going to help you if the CPU doesn't meet minimum requirements. Getting a external drive is a good idea, but get FIREWIRE not USB. USB 2.0 can not handle sustained data transfer that multitrack audio demands nearly as well as firewire.

"Codensor mics makes your sounds more bold and clear. Regular or Stage mics just deliver your sound to a speaker."
Condensors do have more sensitivity in general and extended frequency response, but to say that dynamic mics just deliver the sound to a speaker is inaccurate. There are many recording applications where a plain old SM57 will beat a condensor (snare drum and distorted guitar for example).

"To put it so you will understand, To compress a sound is to basicly smooth the frequency of the sound."

Compression does nothing to the frequency (except multibands and "color" imparted by the electronics), it acts on the volume dynamics. At the most basic level, it makes the loudest parts softer so you can turn up the softer parts. Also useful for smoothing out wild volume swings such as a vocalist who can't stay put when he's singing.

the maestro said:

the reshp1 said:
Dude, you need to check your facts before posting...

I agree with reshp1 You cannot buy LE outright it is only bundled with a interface, SE is the lowest version you can buy, $99.99 then SL3 then SX3

It varies, Protools (somewhat computer based) is all but the industry standard, but there are still many that are recording to standalone recorders and even tape, and mixing on a analog console. Probably the easiest and cheapest way to go is to build your own computer. Do a little research until you find an audio interface that fits you, and a recording program that fits you and build a custom computer to match the requirements.

Again this is personal preference and depends on what level of functionality you're looking for. I personally us ProTools LE, a slimmed down version specifically for home recording.

Microphones and instrument pickups don't generate a very powerful signal. A preamp amplifies this signal to "line" level, which is a standard level pro audio equipment uses to pass audio back and forth. If you are recording with mics then yes, you'll need a preamp for every mic you plan on recording at once. Don't forget that a lot of interfaces and most mixers have preamps built in. If you are going to track keyboards, drum machines, etc that already output at line level, you won't need a preamp.

The "regular" mic you refer to is probably a dynamic mic. It works on the same principal as a speaker, only in reverse. A coil of wire around a diaphram vibrates in a magnetic field and generates the signal. A condensor is based on a charged plate/diaphram mounted at some distance from a backplate (forming a capacitor). Vibrations in the charged plate varies the distance and hence the capacitance, generating a signal. Generally, because the condensor diaphram is much thinner and lighter, condensors are more sensitive and have better frequency response than dynamic mics. Conversely, they are more fragile and require a preamp with "Phantom Power" to charge the plate/diaghram. Read the sticky in the mic forum for more on this.

Compression allows you to control the dynamics of a signal. You set a threshold and a ratio. Audio above the threshold is "compressed" at the specified ratio. For example 3:1 at -30dB ratio means that audio louder than -30 is compressed 3:1, for every 3dB increase above -30dB the output only increases 1dB. In cakewalk, you'd insert a plugin to do this. Unfortunately, some versions of cakewalk don't come with a compressor plug.

Probably the angle, and your amp settings. A mic placed right up to a speaker is going to sound different to what you are hearing some distance away. Generally you'll want to turn the treble down on the amp or it'll sound hissy.

If anyone could answer a few of these questions (especially the first one) i'd appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

ThePhoenix said:

What happened to number 2? :)

Back