a few new questions. hope this is the right section

needmyownstudio

1. i want a set up where i can have two pairs of headphones playing audio simultaneously (one for the vocalist in the booth, and one for the engineer outside of the booth). BUT heres the part that baffles me. i also want some type of control/switch so that i may de activate the two sets of headphones and begin running the audio through to my moniters. do i need software for this, hardware for this, or both? also please give me recomendations on where to look for this software and/or hardware. please.

2. i have a spare mic which i no longer use because, well its cheap. i am looking to finally put it to use. i was hoping i could use it (as the engineer) to speak from outside the vocal booth to inside the vocal booth (to the current vocalist). once again, do i need software for this, hardware for this, or both? also please give me recomendations on where to look for this software and/or hardware. please.

thanks in advance for all the help.

i move in a week and im buying all of my equiptment immediatly after the move. i will be working with an mbox, and a shure sm57 mic (unless you can recomend something better). i am looking to record strictly hip hop and r & b vocals. the mic will hook to the mbox pre amp and soundcard. i will track with pro tools.

monitoring

I just picked up the Presonus HP4 headphone amp and it does exactly what you want. It has four separate headphone outs as well as a control room monitor attenuator. It can be had brand-new for $99.

As far as a talk-back mic goes, you should be able to hook it up through the M-box and route it using your software mixer. Just make sure to mute it before recording vocal takes.

Sounds to me like what you need is a mixer and a headphone amp to run more than one set of cans. That is what they do: route signals. I assume you are using the pres in the MBox, so you don't need a mixer with great pres (unless of course you want better pres, but I am not familiar with the quality of the Mbox pres). Something like a Yamaha MG series would do the trick. Affordable, routing flexibility, reliable.

Back