a few important questions

seriousturtle

besides the physical differences, what are the differences (advantages and disadvantages) of small versus large diaphram condenser microphones? do computers provide the phantom power needed by condenser mics? I'm thinking about purchasing either an AT3525, AT4033/SM, or a Rode NT1. what is a good vocal/acoustic guitar mic for around $300-$350?

Computers do not suppy phantom power. Also most soundcards don't have mic preamps. You WILL need some sort of mic pre (w phantom power) or a mixing board (w phantom power)

As far as the difference between a large diaphragm and a small diaphragm, think of it sort of like a speaker. A larger diaphragm will more easily and accuratly pickup lower frequencies. Well, actually it's not really as simple as that, so disregard that. It has more to do with transients, and frankly I don't know enough about that to really give you the best answer. :) hmmm.... oh well.

-jhe

This is what I've heard ... which has been reinforced for me while recording acoustic guitar recently.
Large diaphragms can't move as fast as small ones, so they tend to 'smooth' over the quicker transients instead of clearly reproducing them. Small diaphragms can move faster, so they can pick up these transients better.
Use a LD mic and a SD mic on acoustic guitar and A/B between the channels and you'll see what I'm talking about.
If you can get a SD mic for acoustic gtr and a LD mic for vocals, do so. If you can only get one mic ... any of the ones you've mentioned will work very well for both.
Good Luck

Back