a few hip-hop tracks

Interesting...I kinda like it, but the sibilance on the vocals got to me after a while...I don't know if that was intentional as an effect or something, but it seemed extreme to me. The singer's delivery wasn't working for me either. The rhymes were very cool and everything just about fit right, it is just an odd voice for this sort of thing. So mellow and such perfect diction. The sound of his voice doesn't match the content of the lyrics to my ears. There was a real imbalance in terms of intensity if that makes any sense. Anyway, well executed in general though and I guess my concerns are largely subjective...other than the "ssss"s :). Nice work.

Oh, I listened to Your Boy Tom Tom...

Thanks for checking it out. Yeah that sibilance is bad, I should probably re-track it cuz I've been having trouble taming the sibilance without ruining the highs in his voice. This is one of the first raps he's ever recorded so I'm sure he'll appreciate the criticism on his delivery. Any tips on the mixing?

Thanks for checking it out. Yeah that sibilance is bad, I should probably re-track it cuz I've been having trouble taming the sibilance without ruining the highs in his voice. This is one of the first raps he's ever recorded so I'm sure he'll appreciate the criticism on his delivery. Any tips on the mixing?

Geez, actually pretty good for one of his first efforts. I feel bad, as my last post made it sound like I had real issues with it...just being nit-picky on something very subjective.

I just listened again and cranked it up a bit more...yeah, overall I think the mix sounds great other than the "SSS's. There are a lot of elements...piano, strings etc. that blend in nicely. The beat has a nice thump to it. His voice was well captured and the doubling (tripling?) for emphasis here and there was executed well.

Hip hop / rap doesn't seem to get a lot of love in this forum...sorry. Maybe the DJ / rap forum would be more helpful to you on this one? Not sure.

agreed with heat....quite a bit of sibilance but you are already aware of that...I think with the backing being so wet it kind of sounded really phazy to me (is that a word?) but it was a very well composed track...really nicely done

have you considered sticking your mixes up on a 320kbps link like Dropbox or something? I think sometimes high frequencies are squashed on soundclick and maybe thats what i was hearing

J5- Too late was excellent...had an intro that reminded me of the specials ghost town so i was already bopping my head...loved the chorus...

on my cheapo system it sounded crystal clear, great levels, nice rapping

no comments on the recording quality, however - your style is very much aesop rock/el-p....RUN with that brotha...take inspiration from them and refine. this is a good track, and i think in the future your delivery will get better, more intense.

good work, and good luck.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Glad you like the arrangements. I also love Aesop so that's a big compliment, but I'm not the ones who are rapping. I told Your Boy Tom Tom that he sounded like Aesop and he had never even heard him so I suggested that he get Float and now he's all about it. I think I need to do more coaching in the studio too. I usually just let the rappers do what they do, but I should give them more tips on delivery or demand 1000 takes because I know it could be tighter.

I listened to the "boy tom tom" one. Generally the recording sounds pretty good.

I agree about the vocal delivery. Too deliberate. Agree on the sibilance too.

Is there a gate on the vocal? Some odd decay on lots of notes.

Little pop on the left side at 1:39.

The acoustic guitar solo at around 1:53 bounces back and forth really fast. Makes you dizzy on if you're on headphones. A bit distracting to me.

Back