A few clips

listening to 'wrong to right'.. pretty phat.. I'm not crazy about all the reverb on the chicks voice, but I really like the melody she's singing though.. the rapping is o.k. Not much rap comes through here but I always say the same thing when it does, I'm more into old school rap (Eric B, B.D.P., P.E., E.P.M.D., L.L. etc.) but this isn't too bad..

checking out 'newstylez,' sounds a bit grainy..

'All up in my eyes' pretty cool.. just as good as a lot of the stuff I have been hearing 'when the cars drive by with the boomin' systems!' :eek:

:D

late
sam

First of all, I know nothing about hip hop. So I don't know if this is a good song or not, and if this is a good hip hop mix or not. So keep that in mind. I'm just doing this for fun. I'm just telling what I like and don't like about the mix from a different viewpoint (I think you should ignore most of my comments, anyway). It's all fun, so don't take me too seriously.

WRONG 2 RIGHT
-------------------
Too much reverb on the female vocals, and they also sound too wandering from left to right. What's up with that?. The drumbeat is a bit too reverby. Kinda sounds like hall reverb. The vocals are mixed a tad distant, but not that bad.

NEW STYLEZ
---------------
Very lo-fi sounding. I thought I clicked on the hi-fi play button. Anyway, everything seems to be in the middle. I like the idea of putting some acoustic guitars in the songs. At least it sounds more versatile than some of the MTV hip hop I've heard (like Hot Spot by Foxy Brown :D )

ALL UP IN MY EYES / IN YOUR EYES
---------------------------------------
Again, very centered mix. I'd spread the sounds more. Sounds like this mix could use more bass frequencies. It seems to lake some thump. The kick drum would be somewhat better with some beat, but what would I know?

A DAY IN THE LIFE
----------------------
Ahh... Now I hear more stereo stuff, at least in the intro. I appreciate the sound effects that make some of the mood. This song has more bass kick. Talking about your songs so far, this song has the most appropriate kick drum as far as I know. Not bad at all.

MAIN STREET
---------------
This mix has the best of your vocal mixes in my opinion. The drums are pretty muddy, but it's probably a good contrast to the clear guitar in the background. But when you have those bassy kick drums and very muddy bass guitar, it sounds overkill a bit. Try not to overlap their frequencies too much, if you can re-mix it.

So, generally speaking, I wish there were a bit longer clips, but if you think the clips were a good representation of the whole songs, then it's ok. Again, I don't listen to hip hop, so take what I say with a grain of salt. In fact, with a bucketload of it :D

I decided it's time for me to listen to mixes in other genres. I don't know why, I guess it adds to my karma or something :D I thnk it's good for the ears not to get used to a boxed mindset of mixing and hearing music.

-EDIT-

Damn! Sam, you beat me to it! This is the second thread I was supposed to be the first to reply, but you're too fast for me :D

thanks for your insights, these are rough mixes that I've been working on, so I'll take what you say to the board.

I am listening to wrong to right.

First off, the rapper has a very suitable, rich voice for rap.

The flow also fits the beat perfectly.

The rapper's delivery is excellent.

I like it.

Back