A Dying Industry

Melsi

Padawan
I'm about to start university doing a degree in music technology, ive always had a great passion to work in music, in a recording studio, would anyone here say that becoming a sound engineer these days is a dead end if you want to make good money.

Im just worried about my future, whether i want to go more into the business side of the music industry or the technical side.

I'm about to start university doing a degree in music technology, ive always had a great passion to work in music, in a recording studio, would anyone here say that becoming a sound engineer these days is a dead end if you want to make good money.

Im just worried about my future, whether i want to go more into the business side of the music industry or the technical side.

That's a tough one to answer. It's hard to know what the future holds, so any vision we have of what our lives will be like in five or ten years might be way off base. Only thing reasonably certain is that the technology and the business will both change, and each will demand changes in the other.

If producing and making music is your passion, I'd go with the technical side, but do keep a watch on the business enough to understand why things are happening the way they are. Also always remember that there's a big difference between the "record business" and the "music business." The former is quite possibly dying, but the latter is changing but will still be with us.

The part about making good money? Well, that's really less about what you study and more about how you make your choices and how the odds play out in your future. Many people only learn new things when they have to, and they're dragged into new situations kicking and screaming. These people only just get by. But if instead you always take joy in the new stuff, take it upon yourself to play with and learn the new things that come along, hone your skills and always be ready to go to new places, the opportunities will be yours for the taking when they pop up. That's how the folks who have a little extra to spare usually get it.

There will always be a future in the music business. It's just important to realize that it may not be very different from what we know now.

It's good that you're mindful of the future. You should always be watching out for it. But don't worry about the future...there's nothing to be gained by worrying, and nothing we can do to make the future safe.

Consider my wife's liver transplant two years ago and my spinal cord injury since then. All our career planning--having "something to fall back on"--ultimately didn't matter. We're doing fine, but I guarantee there's no such thing as covering all the bases to make everything safe. You'll go nuts trying to cover any contingency, and waste so much effort trying to do it that you'll fall behind in the important part--developing your goals and realizing your dreams.

So here's everything you need to know:

1. Your life has already well underway. It's not going to start when you get out of school. It's not something you're preparing for later. And the entire concept of your future life being a "career" having a start and stop at some point is an arbitrary, unbounded, and ultimately meaningless construct.

2. Find a way to pursue your passions in a way that sustains you sufficiently to keep doing it, and you'll be so happy you'll always be more successful than lottery winners.

3. Realize that learning doesn't end in school. (Many people think it does! How weird!) Always be learning the new things coming along involved in your passionate pursuit. Opportunities will come...it's just a matter of being ready for them. If you are, the money will follow that. Some people will say that's the measure of success. They're wrong. You'll have already had success in step 2.

And now here's the bonus answer, which directly goes to the question you raised:

Go with either one...but do the one that truly is your dream and your passion. It won't matter in five years or so which technical components you worked on. They'll have been replaced with something new. What's important is that you'll have also absorbed the underlying principles and demonstrated you can finish what you start. (This is true for every other field, too: Medicine, technology, programming, business, science, wheatver.)

If your passion is to make decisions about who plays what for whom and where, and who plays with each other and where the money is coming from to make it happen, go with the business side.

If your passion is capturing the sound, helping people construct their systems to make their music or sound, and running the technology that executes all the plans, go with the technical side.

Follow your passion. Be ready for opportunities and know how to recognize them. Then hold on tight, because it's going to be a magnificent ride!

Cheers,

Ross

Melsi - as an "industry" where one can procure a job, have defined career goals, make a satisfactory "decent" living from the get go with room to grow, have a "retirement plan", etc. - I'd say the "industry" is truly dead. Even 25 years ago when I was starting out, those things were difficult at best to find. Now, they are non-existant.

If you proceed, you will have to define your own future, and make your own breaks. You will need to have someone else to fall back on financially - parents, spouse, etc. while you make your career. It's a crying shame that kids are made to work for years as interns and they don't even get a chance to learn anything useful - except maybe that this career is $#@$^$%#.

When I talk to a bright energetic person about "careers in music", I try to pin them down as to what they want out of life. If security, retirement, nice house, beautiful wife and family, toys like boat motorcycles, etc. come up in the conversation, I tell them to be a lawyer or businessman. If their passion for music is UNSQUELCHABLE and they start getting hugely annoyed at me for stepping on their "dreams" - THAT is the person I will council. But I will not pull any punches with them. It is hard and the rejections and difficult times may very easily overpower the joy that music brings to your life.

Can you maintain that balance? Can you live thru years of having the pendulum swing the "wrong" direction? If you're married or plan on being married, can your spouse deal with those things?

It will not be an easy path. We all want the ammenities of life. Especially now that society crams them down our throat, but pursuing a career in any aspect of the music business in the current climate pretty much torches the chance that you will achieve those things. The BEST you should be hoping for is survival. If survival is not good enough, you need to look elsewhere and have music be your avocational passion. Many are the times I've wished I'd done that. Then music could be pure and solely an extention of my heart instead of a stupid session with a less than talented boring band.

Like I said, it was hard enough starting out 25-30 years ago. It is MAGNATUDES harder now - and social, economic, and overall competition is exponentially higher, while sales and opportunities are exponentially lower.

If it's all you can do, if you cannot envision living without it, if you will sacrifice everything this side of your soul, then carry on - but be forewarned - the path is uphill, rocky and very difficult. Best of luck to you!!

bp

PS - Ross had some very good advice for you!

drbill thats also very helpful to me and i thank you for giving the time for that post, can you explain to me like the actual specific reasons why its a dead industry now and why its like that

I had a long eloquent answer for you, but somehow it got lost in the shuffle. I just don't have the energy to go there again, sorry....

The quickie version:

#1 - Technology

#2 - People's sense of "entitlement" - both in feeling that the world OWES them a job in the entertainment industry. AND, people feeling that music should be as free as the air they breath. This is a discussion capable of filling a dozen threads, but I will leave it at that.

BTW, when I say the "industry" is dying or dead, I do not mean to infer that recording is dead or music is dead. JUST that the golden image of how music is made and has been made for 50 years is dead. You know, that nostalgic thing that is DRAWING you and your peers into the industry. It's an illusion, a vapor, a ghost. For all intents and purposes, it does not exist anymore.

bp

Don't worry..it's not dying... just changing... wait it out and adapt quickly as it moves into it's new state, and you'll be greatly rewarded for it. The music business has changed quite drastically several times and it did just fine. The major labels are the only thing which could end up dying as a result, not the music business it's self. If you love it, do it... If you're persistent enough, and have the right skills/art that is meaningful to people, you'll do alright eventually. (it's never been a walk in the park...ever)

As said the industry is evolving into a digital age, of course lagging behind technology. There's many many jobs dealing with sound & visuals. Now if your looking to become a superstar keep on wishing. But saying the labels will die is not likely. Because of change, which should have happened when mp3's caught on, will & is has given the labels a diet & made it a leaner meaner industry. Remember.. costs of recording time & production etc for a whole album of 15 songs, then distributors returning unsold copies etc will be ever less costly. Your making millions on 1 song rather than a whole album in which most majors have fill ins rather than great album cuts anyways. So you if your a huge major artist that can sell each of those 15 songs as single songs for $1 on itunes or $3.99-4.99 as a even lesser clip, your making a KILLING.

Yeah... right now the 'industry' (meaning, pretty much, the big conglomerate labels) is dying. However, now might very well be the most exciting time in music... EVER. ESPECIALLY for the bands. There's never been a time where it was easier for a band to establish themselves without the help of a major label. Things are changing, and for the better.

Back