A/d Converters

Claude G

Harvey and all: THIS IS A SIMPLE, GOOD FAITH QUESTION I POSTED IN ANOTHER FORUM - GOT NO REPLY FROM ANYONE...I GUESS ITS TOO STUPID A QUESTION??? YOU WOULD THINK THAT COMMON COURTESY WOULD DICTATE SOME KIND OF REPLY...???

IF SOMEONE HERE COULD GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION I WILL DISSASOCIATE MYSELF FROM THE "OTHER FORUM" AS THEN I WILL KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT THERE TO HELP....

Hi Lynn and all: Question: I mix down from a Soundcraft M series console w/digital out to an Alesis Masterlink (digital in)- would I see any improvement in the final mix on the Masterlink if I patch a good A/D converter between the console and the Masterlink? How good (expensive) a converter would I need to improve on the console's digital out?

I've no experience with the Masterlink's converters but if they're anything like the HD24's, they're pretty damn good. If you want an improvement over that, an Apogee Rosetta for around $1000 or so would be something to consider. The Lucid stuff is real nice too.

Claude G said:
Harvey and all: THIS IS A SIMPLE, GOOD FAITH QUESTION I POSTED IN ANOTHER FORUM - GOT NO REPLY FROM ANYONE...I GUESS ITS TOO STUPID A QUESTION??? YOU WOULD THINK THAT COMMON COURTESY WOULD DICTATE SOME KIND OF REPLY...???

IF SOMEONE HERE COULD GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION I WILL DISSASOCIATE MYSELF FROM THE "OTHER FORUM" AS THEN I WILL KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT THERE TO HELP....

Hi Lynn and all: Question: I mix down from a Soundcraft M series console w/digital out to an Alesis Masterlink (digital in)- would I see any improvement in the final mix on the Masterlink if I patch a good A/D converter between the console and the Masterlink? How good (expensive) a converter would I need to improve on the console's digital out?
The A/D convertor in the MAsterlink is very good, but if you're coming out digitally from the Soundcraft M console, you're not using the A/D convertor in the MAsterlink - you're bypassing it. So the real question is: How good is the A/D converter in the Soundcraft? I suspect it's not all that great.

A better solution might be to come out of the Soundcraft via the analog outputs, and use the Masterlink's A/D convertor. Try it both ways and see if it makes a difference. It's a no-cost solution to your question. Use whichever sounds best.

Harvey and Trak: You guys are great! I knew I would get some good advice from you. I was dead wrong, as I thought that the digital (RCA-type) input in the Masterlink is what did the conversion...??? Seems obvious now that this is not so. But, I'm still a bit in the dark since I've not fiddled w/any outboard converter. Are the in/out analog (XLR?) connectors in a converter all XLR, or is the "in" XLR and the "out" digital? What benefit, if any would I have if I go in/out of a converter digitally? (if such a thing is even possible).

Claude G said:
Harvey and Trak: You guys are great! I knew I would get some good advice from you. I was dead wrong, as I thought that the digital (RCA-type) input in the Masterlink is what did the conversion...???

Actually, a digital input is one that requires no conversion. It's already digital when it goes in, so it doesn't need to be converted to digital. That's why A/D converters are on analog inputs.

Claude, digital ins/outs may be either RCA (SPDIF) or XLR (AES). Take Harvey's advice and use the analog outs of your mixer and allow the Masterlink to perform the A/D conversion. Let us know the results.
-kent

best thing is to go out of the board analog into a rosseta then into the a/d converters in the masterlink masterlink is still made by alesis lol i trust apogee sorry guys

Harvey and all: Thanks again for your fine advice. I did try both ways as you suggested - coming out of the board's analog XLRs and the board's SPDIF going into the Masterlink: I'm reporting back to you as you asked - I actually thought that the all digital chain was "cleaner and clearer." So, it seems like the SPDIF out in the Souncraft is better than expected!

Now, I might try the Rosseta, but that's a "whole other ball game" I suspect ($)!!!

Claude G,

You didn't say what kind of cables that you're using. In my experience, cables may a whole lot of difference in the quality of the sound. If in your test you used el cheapo cables (Horizon, ProCo, etc...) then your testing may be flawed. If, however, you used Monster, Mogami, Canare, or something along that line then I would accept your tests as conclusive.

Also, quality cable should be used at all parts of your chain. There have been more than a few tests that should prove to you that cables do have a significant affect on the sound. Quite a few have been done on this site. Personally, I use Mogami cable...quality for a reasonable price ( www.fullcompass.com ). However, there are a few other quality brands that others swear by...

Es.

REV E: Good point. I'm not at home rigfht now so I can't go look, but I think you are right because the digital cable I believe is monster and the XLR is a cheapie (Pro-Co?). Hmm....I'll have to look this up and report back. Thanks!!

Know: Yes. My Soundcraft M board has both outs - analog XLR and 1/4" AND an SPDIF. The "RCA type" SPDIF is, I believe a blue monster cable....incidentally, I checked the FullCompass site for the good cables (Mogami, Canare, etc.) and I noticed that they DON'T sell good Y cables; only good XLR, 1/4" ...so where do I get a quality Y cable???

REV E: I checked and both the XLR and SPDIF cables were cheapies (Hosa and "brand X"). I will buy better XLR interconnect cables and a Mogami SPDIF, but what is funny is that the Mogami SPIDF is cheaper (in price) than the Hosa..???? What does this mean? Also, how about good Y cables for inserts? All I saw at FullCompass was a very limited type of good cable...???

Some make the understandable mistake of using analog cables. Just wanted to eliminate that as the most likely cause of signal degradation.
-kent

Back