A crazy/dumb idea!

A7X

So I was trying to get to sleep last night and of course I was thinking about something or another. And I thought of something that I guess only a newbie would ask. since I don't have a sound proof room or even close of making a sound proof room I was thinking of what if, I tapped blankets to the roof around the things I record. Not on the walls but, tape blankets around the singer or drummer. am I just being crazy or what? lol

A7X said:
So I was trying to get to sleep last night and of course I was thinking about something or another. And I thought of something that I guess only a newbie would ask. since I don't have a sound proof room or even close of making a sound proof room I was thinking of what if, I tapped blankets to the roof around the things I record. Not on the walls but, tape blankets around the singer or drummer. am I just being crazy or what? lol

Tape isn't as strong as you think. ;) Try using a fan with the tape, works much better. THe sound does improve, just not a whole hell of a lot. As your equipment improves, then you'll 'hear' the room more and more, and that's when you'll want to go to further measures on that. For now, that would be fine. I think we've all tried it at one point or another.

Your idea has some merit, light weight, easily changeable, sound diffusion and absorbing. In theory it sounds good. In application it may not sound so good. While it isn't likely to hurt anything you will probably need something a lot heavier than blankets to handle the sonic aspect, and something a lot stronger than tape to handle the structural part. A simple framework (pvc is easy and inexpensive) with several layers of blankets draped over it is more likely to accomplish what you have in mind. Remember to keep all sources of fire away from any hanging items (blankets burn fast when hung.)

I've nailed a couple of really heavy blankets in front of my door before, really helped keep some sound from getting in my room.

I've also tried putting blankets on the walls to try & help absorb sound for tracking. Didn't help that much, just made it really hot in my room.

If you want sound proofing then you'll need mass. Really thick, condensed fiberglass panels if you even want some sort of sound absorption. But even that won't work well for sound proofing, but it will be better than blankets.

Really, guys - let's think this through.

Wrap some fabric around your head and smack the drums.

That's about the extent of the attenuation properties of fabric: Close to nothing.

There's no shortcut. Fiberglass will be useful for treating a room to make it sound good. It is next to useless for isolation.

You can thank me later for saving you a Fitz-stomping in the studio construction forum. :p

Supercreep said:
It is next to useless for isolation.

What about using 4" thick panels for isolation in a booth? ie, for guitar/vocals.

For soundproofing I agree, but for absorption/isolation to prevent flutter echoes and standing waves, would it not help?

The reason I ask is I'm making an isolated area in my room for recording, and I'm going to use 4" panels with 703 or acoustic cotton.

Also, would 2" be enough for acoustic guitar? Or should I just stick to 4"?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread just thought I'd ask here.

Supercreep said:
That's about the extent of the attenuation properties of fabric: Close to nothing.

Look, I agree that some fabric sucks, but moving blankets really do work if you're just trying to kill high-frequency reflections. Not amazing, not even great, but decently. Plus, they're cheaper than just about anything else out there. A guy's gotta start somewhere.

johnny5dm said:
Look, I agree that some fabric sucks, but moving blankets really do work if you're just trying to kill high-frequency reflections. Not amazing, not even great, but decently. Plus, they're cheaper than just about anything else out there. A guy's gotta start somewhere.
You have a point but it's not just high frequencies you need to kill. Your bass builds up pretty darn fast in a room so bass traps are kinda a must.

Unless you've drowned the carpets in fire-retarding spray or something, yeah it's a fire hazard. So is 99% of the stuff you're surrounded by at any given time.

Back to the discussion, sound-proofing is only marginally related to sound-absorption, in that mass=good. To sound-proof a room (e.g., make sure you can't hear anything else in the house and nobody else can hear you) you need to do fun stuff like double-walls, which in many cases just isn't feasible. For sound-absorption, you need some heavy foam/fiberglass. Then there's other fun stuff like reducing the amount of parallel surfaces (e.g. walls/ceiling), reducing odd frequency canceling/doubling (bass traps and such), etc.

So basically, there's a whole sh*t-load of fun stuff you get to do to accomplish *everything* you want to do, but any little bit helps too :) In your case, I'd follow the advice you've gotten already and build some dense-fiberglass wall-hanging things, and put them on your walls, especially in corners. Another option is to build movable walls out of things like office cubicle dividers, some 2x4's, and some casters, and place them around whatever's being loud at the time. (although a completely dead room isn't good for drums either!)

Back