A Couple Songs

Tekker

Here is a couple songs from my friend's band that I'm currently recording.

We just got the drums recorded over the weeked and they wanted to have a couple songs on CD for their concert next weekend. So I'm working on some quickie mixes for a couple of their songs and here's what we've got so far... Let me know what you guys think! :cool:

PS. I'm using a demo version of a vocal strip plugin and it cuts out every so often (and kind of makes it sound like he's swearing! lol)... I plan on getting it before their concert, but I thought I'd post it as is so I could get some feedback (it always helps to have another set of ears listening to it)! :)

-tkr

Well, I'm kinda new to recording, but I have been listening/playing for a long time, so I'll give you my opinion -

Compared to the other recordings I have listened to on here, these are two of the best - not to overdone. My only criticisms are

Always There -

1) The bass in the intro is a little low (I am a bass player tho, so I like it to stand out a little more than most)

2)The piano in the first part of the song gets a little lost in the guitar...sounds way better at the end of the song.

Free of you -

The song is kinda boomy on my system.

Thats all I got, like I said, two of the best sounding songs I've heard on here.

Hey NL5,

Thanks for the compliments and critiques! :cool:

I agree that the bass needs a to be louder during the intro, so I'll give it a little more boost... The keyboard is going to be a tough fix though, because I had to drench it in reverb to get a decent sound from it (it didn't have the greatest sound in the world) and the massive reverb kind of makes it hard to get it to stick out in the mix. But it sounds like they just got an actual keyboardist for their band (one of the guitarists played the keyboard for the recording) and it sounds like he has a really nice keyboard, so we'll probably end up redoing them... Which will be great because I didn't really care for the sound of that keyboard.

I haven't spent that much time mixing Free Of You yet, and there are definitely some problem areas in it. But hopefully I'll be able to get the majority of them worked out before their concert this Saturday night.... :eek:

Thanks again,
-tkr

Ok, here are those two songs as they are now appearing on their 2 song demo CD.

I didn't change a whole lot on Always There, just brought the bass up and the snare drum up during the chorus (when he's playing the full kit). And I also copied the snare rhythm that he does during the whole song and pasted a copy of it at the ending, because he kind of changed the beat at the ending. So now the ending sounds more like the rest of the song. Oh and I also got the full version for the Voxengo vocal plugin, so it doesn't cut out anymore!

On Free Of You, I changed tweaked with the compression and EQ of the drums (the drum sound on this song was the big thing that was buggin' me), and I added some reverb to the vocals and changed the flange on the vocal doubling effect that appears throughout the song, and I also did some other minor tweaking. So I think that this version sounds a lot better than the first one I posted.

Always There

Free Of You

And just for reference, I left the old verions up also... Hopefully the new ones sound better (and not worse) than the old ones! :D

(Old) Always There

(Old) Free Of You

-tkr

Back