A common question: What do I want to buy? (complete newbie)

thirdrate

Hi, novice here, and I want to get started, from scratch..

I want to buy a mixer/multitrack, mics, stands, cables, guitar effects, etc. I think I've decided on the mic: Shure SM57, and for the guitar a Line 6 Recording POD.

However, I have no idea about the mixer/multitrack..

I am pretty sure I want to use my computer to record, so I should get a mixer? If I get a mixer, and wanted to record two or more things at the same time, they would all get clumped together into one track within the software, correct? (since sound card has only one input) This would not be the case with a multitrack, right?

I plan to primarily record here, at home. But I would like to be prepared if I go over to my friends house,
and I've been looking at the Tascam MKIII 424, but I can't see myself fumbling around with casettes.

But, it would be better than nothing, and cheaper than a expensive hard disk recorder. On the other hand, if I get the MKIII, I will primarily using it as a mixer, and I hear it is not as good -- especially the mic preamps, compared to, say -- a Mackie mixer. If that's true, then with the multitrack, I gain versatility, but compromise quality.

So, as a complete beginner, do I want a plain mixer, a casette multitrack, some-other-type-of-media multitrack, a hard disk multitrack, etc.

I don't really have high standards yet, I will probably be happy with any of these.

And please, manufacturer and model reccomendations would be helpful. Online, I've looked at mixers by Behringer, Mackie, and hard disk multitracks by Fostex.

Thanks,

$700? Hmmmm.....Well for starters,if you plan on recording
to your pc and require 4 or more tracks,check out the various multi-track recording software.Many have trial downloads you can check out.
Visit http://www.cooledit.com or http://www.cakewalk.com to name a few.
Mic? Instead of the 57,go for a SM58,1 of the best all-purpose mics around and goes for 'bout $90 new.
You will only need a mixer for it's pre-amps and for monitoring,but stay away from Behringer,they're horrible!
Try a Mackie 1202 @$350 or less used.Most excellent pres'.
Near-field active(if you have no amp)or passive monitors
to judge your mixes.Check out some Tannoy Reveals@$350.00
per pair or Tannoy Proto J's @$200.00 a pair.
This is just your basic starters kit on the cheap.
What will you be recording,how many tracks and will there
be other musicians in your mix?
Peace
Mr.Q

Thanks for the tips, especially about Behringer. What I will be recording? I suppose guitar, bass, the usual stuff, a drum machine maybe, probably 6 tracks.

Yes, I was considering this Mackie 1202, very high quality. Could use some sliders though.

I meant to say I would spend about 700 on the machine itself, if it was worth it.

The way I understand it, is that if I do a multi-track recording with a mixer, all the tracks will get lumped together. However, on the multi-track machine , they woudl stay seperate. Is the advantage of being able to edit individual tracks worth getting on of these?

Basically,there are 3 general ways to do multi-track recording:
1)DAW's-,such as Roland VS1880,Akai dsp16,Korg D16.
These are portable digital mixer/recorders that record to
an internal hard drive disc with their own special features,
effects,editing capabilities from 8 to 16 tracks(with addtl
"virtual tracks)You can do all your effect processing,editing,mixing and in some cases mastering.
Prices range from 900 to 2k or higher
2)ADAT-These are tape-based digital recorders where you can
record 8traks and slave to additional adats(ie,3 ADATS gives you 24 tracks).Alesis manufactures ADATs (The XT20
goes for $1600 and the LX20 @$999)Alesis also makes the Studio 24 and 32 mixers each with Direct out's which eliminates the need re-patch.The XT20 has built in digital-editing capabilities also See http://www.alesis.com .
PC-Again the wide variety of recording soft ware,multi-input/output sound cards,effect-plugins,etc is to numerous
to mention. The one thing you have to remember 'bout PC-based recording is it's lack of portability yet a very powerful tool in the world of recording.
Some sites to visit:
http://www.samash.com
http://www.musiciansfriend.com
http://www.sweetwater.com (excellent sales staff)
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837
And for deals on used equipment, http://www.ebay.com.
Also,utilize the "SEARCH" function of this BBS,located in the upper rite-hand corner of this page.
Good Luck
Mr.Q

If you have(buy) a Multi-channel soundcard, you can record serparate instruments on separate tracks on the PC.

You could look for a good soundcard, get ntrack software(about $50 online), and then just look for a 4 track.

There's no difference between an SM-57 and an SM-58 -same mic with a different "covering" on the mic element.
The perceived difference, is because the SM-58 has about another 1/2" of space and a little "pop screen" between the source (the sound) and the actual element-which causes it to sound different.Take the ball off, and it's a 57.
Other than that they are both pieces of crap in my honest opinion; look for an AKG or EV mic in the same price range.

For about $700, you can get a used HD recorder, or a new BOSS BR-8 HD recorder (only records 2 tracks at a time)- I can't vouch for it, it might be junk, it might not be-do some digging around online, but it's got effects built in, and it's designed for guitarists.

You can get a Fostex VF-16 for about $1,200 which is a self contained 16 track Mixer/recorder.
Get this a few mics & stands, headphones, and a stereo card into your PC (pref. digital input), and you'd have a portable Multitrack set up, with the ability to burn CD's on the PC.

Tim

Wazzup Tim. True 'bout the 57&58,but disagree 'bout them being crap! They're decent mics,good freq response and s/b
part of ever-1's mic arsenal. I've seen many pros' use 'em
on stage,theater,visual-arts and in studios. They're also
provide decent pick-up and transparency when micing a git amp,or snare and bass drums and over-heads.
Peace
Mr.Q
But in the final analysis,audition each piece of out-board
equipment that you are considering b-4 purchasing.

To all,
Please fill me in on the Behringer mixers? I know you get what you pay for, but why are they so bad(I know nothing about mixers)?
If a person has very little to start are they a good alternative, or should they wait and get soemthing better?

Thanks

Why Behringers suck:
A) tried to copy Mackie boards got sued and lost!
B) The absolute WORST customer service dept in the world.
(repairs and/or replacment parts take anywhre from 3-6 weeks)
C)Poor Heat sink and heat disappation.
D) Crap-ass pre-amps and middle of the road EQ
E)No on/off switch and extremely susceptible to line surges and blowouts (I prev owned the MX2624 brand new and it blew out within 2 weeks of purchase)
F) Faders so noisey that,trim must be lowered to cut down on
S/N ratio.

Shall I continue????....
Save your money and check out a Mackie board as a starter.

Mysterque,
Thanks...and I thought Behringer would be an up-grade from radio shack (I can almost see the blood vessels bursting....joking of course).

Sounds like good advise, I'll save my pennies.
Thanks

MISTERQCUE said:
Wazzup Tim. True 'bout the 57&58,but disagree 'bout them being crap! They're decent mics,good freq response and s/b
part of ever-1's mic arsenal. I've seen many pros' use 'em
on stage,theater,visual-arts and in studios. They're also
provide decent pick-up and transparency when micing a git amp,or snare and bass drums and over-heads.
Peace
Mr.Q
But in the final analysis,audition each piece of out-board
equipment that you are considering b-4 purchasing.

Hey Mr. Q!

Well, I just don't like them because we bought a soundsystem years ago (mid 80's) and had 20 SM-57's and 4 SM-58's!
That was back before there were any "economical" Kick Mics
I just got sick of dealing with Sures's, so for recording, I prefer to stay away from them.
I just don't like the sound of them, they always seem too much "midrange" in them when close mic'ing something.
The 57 is fine for a snare, and sometimes it is the best choice, but I've just gotten so used to the Beyer M422 that I prefer it.

Tim

getting started.....

-buy a digi 001
-buy a rode nt-1
-get some monitors

put it all together and start making your music.this will kick butt i assure you.dont get a standalone fostex unit youd just be wasting your money on the hardware.if youve got a computer then all you need is the soundcard/interface and the software+outboard gear.

since the 001 has 2 built in pre's,phantom power, low latency monitoring,comes with a 24 track version of pro tools, has phantom power 8/8 analog i/o & 8/8 spdif digital i/o.plus a midi i/o it kicks butt for $800

then all youll need is a mic-sm-57,ev,rode
monitors and headphones.

with this youll have a strong nucleus to build upon.then you can put off buying a mixer till you can afford a digital one,cause you can use the 2 built in pre's till you need more.
-now with this setup you can start working as you save for more.

when you need more pre's get some pre sonus or joe meek tube pre's unless you get really into this then youll want a manley

check out the yamaha 01v as well as the cm motormix(control surface) and the tascam md-1000.
youll want a mixer that can function as a control surface via midi or an actual control surface so you can interact with your software.the cm motormix is a control surface

get a used alesis quadraverb or a lexicon reverb.its nice to have outboard gear because reverbs bog down your cpu.

Hey mono-man,do you wanna'record to pc,DAW,or out-board multi-track gear (such as an ADAT) and how many tracks you
think you may need?

TimB,I can dig what you're saying.Back in the late 70's to
early '80's,I too basically dealt with 57's,which we used
for EVERYTHING! Drums,vocals,acoustics,horns and even early
KARAOKE :) ! That was all our budget can handle as far as mics were concerned. A while back I posted a thread in the
"Mic Forum" asking what would be the best mic for $100 and
our esteemed moderator,sonusman, simply stated "SM58" and I
have to agree. Just a plain,good ole' mic. Now don't get me
wrong,my 58 is not my TOP mic in my small mic "ARSENAL".
I too own the AKG C1000,RODE NT1 and 3 and a SHURE KSM32 along with some,now don't hate me 57's. With you,since you have used the 57's and 58's for so long,it's like the first
time you had meatloaf,it was good,but after a while you get tired of it.It's not that it taste crappy,but bored with it.
That I understand!
Peace TimB.!
Mr.Q

[Edited by MISTERQCUE on 12-21-2000 at 20:50]

Should always own at least one Sm57 in my opinion.... they are the best mic for that price hands down, and they are SOOOOOO highly recomended itz nuts. So for your first mic.... U can't go wrong with a 57, U will use it down the road, even after U have a bunch of fancy condensors.......

Sabith

Mr. Q,
I am really new to this. I want to record to the "puter", acoustic guitar, and vocals (1 track)...maybe another for accompaniment, for now...thats about all.

Back