A chicken-shit, pathetic trick by a local studio

Harvey Gerst said:
A chicken-shit, pathetic trick by a local studio:

This one takes the cake. Most of you know me, and my work over the years. We've built up a pretty good reputation for recording in North Texas, and we also have a pretty good reputation for being nice people.

So you can imagine my surprise when I found out that our website
(http://www.itrstudio.com) has been hijacked by Goodnight Audio, another recording studio in Dallas.

If you add an "s" to our URL, changing it to http://www.itrstudios.com ("studios", plural), it takes you to their Goodnight Audio website.

They're way bigger than we are (but I doubt if their studio originally came with wheels), and they've got a lot of nice toys. I never felt they were a threat, but apparently we're enough of a threat to them to have them try and mislead our customers.

They also claim that George Augsburger designed their rooms, but George told me that our studio is the only place he's ever designed in North Texas.

But how lame is that: to take our name, add an "s", and hope somebody makes a mistake when typing our name, so they can get business?

Sorry for the rant, but I'm kinda pissed at the moment. They bought the URL 12 days ago, but we just found out today. I guess it's actually kinda pathetic, really.

"Chickenshit, lame, and pathetic" kinda covers it for me. Sorry for the rant.
Just out of curiosity... why didn't you post the above crap on your own forum?

Last edited:
DJL said:
Just out of curiosity... why didn't you post the above crap on your own forum?
I DID post it on my own forum, and it's still there. As to why I posted it here, I thought some of the members here might know someone at that studio and mention to them how uncool that was.

I'm sorry about taking up bandwidth here, but as I pointed out, I was royally pissed. The owner finally called me and we worked it out, and I followed up with the second post stating the matter was resolved.

I would have deleted the thread here, but by the time I thought about it, the deleting time had past. I will delete the thread on my forum (after you've had time to actually verify that it was indeed posted there), and I'll ask Weston to delete it here.

cominginsecond said:
So the guy that designed your room did this?
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. George Graham, their webmaster, did the messing around. My friend George Augspurger (acoustician) wasn't involved.

H2oskiphil said:
I thjink you should leave it up just to piss Don off....
Naw, even though the people at the other studio screwed up with that move, the owner set it right and apologized, so I don't think this thread should stay up as a constant reminder of the incident. They screwed up, apologized, and fixed it. That should be the end of it.

Harvey Gerst said:
Naw, even though the people at the other studio screwed up with that move, the owner set it right and apologized, so I don't think this thread should stay up as a constant reminder of the incident. They screwed up, apologized, and fixed it. That should be the end of it.

I'm amazed at your attitude Harvey. You are a very gracious man. I'm glad things worked out.

my 2 cents

I’d leave it up man.
DJL has always had a sparkling personality.
I'm not sure why those fangs come out every once in awhile? That's right, I only have 60 post but I've been around since the dawn of time.

I think people should be aware of business practice both good and bad. And our web pages are a very valuable median to reach potential customers. So let this be a lesson to all.

It's not always about recording.
Business 101

C

Well, I deleted the threads in 3 of the 4 forums I posted it to.

But now, there's an interesting development. Andy (the owner of Goodnight Audio) said he'd make sure that their new URL (http://www.itrstudios.com) would be set to redirect people to our actual website (http://www.itrstudio.com), and for a day, it did.

But apparently, George, their webmaster, decided that the $18 (that he spent to register the site for two years) was too valuable to give to a competitor, so he just parked the page at the web registering site, with no redirect to us, contrary to what Andy had promised me would be done. I hate this kind of petty shit. I even offered to pay the 18 bucks to have it transferred to me.

It's a violation of your trademark rights if someone registers a name that they have no legitimate use in commerce. There are federal laws in the Lanham Act (15 U.S.C. 1125 (d)) that directly apply. It's called cybersquatting. Most states have laws regulating trademark activity also. Freshmattyp pointed to a great link, because unlike the noncyber world, the InterNIC dispute resolution policy provides for a quick, painless way to resolve cybersquatting disputes... without lawyers and lawsuits and great expense.

Harvey, I'm glad you were able to work it out peacefully. But, unless Goodnight Audio is using ITR Studios or some similar name commercially, they shouldn't even have a right to own the www.itrstudios.com URL. You should be able to take this to the InterNIC folks so that you can have to control to pay the $18 and have the site redirected to the true ITRStudio site.

http://www.internic.com/faqs/udrp.html

Well geez, I guess this is the type of threads we'll all have to learn to except on this mic bbs... sad, but oh well.

DJL said:
Well geez, I guess this is the type of threads we'll all have to learn to except on this mic bbs... sad, but oh well.
DJL, I've already asked the moderators to remove this thread, as I have already done on 3 other forums I've posted to. I just thought some people might be interested in my ongoing battle with these people, so I posted a followup here, knowing that this thread will probably disappear in a few days.

I thought this matter was completely resolved and I was willing to end it and remove all traces of this thread. Some people who emailed that studio got these responses:

"We didn't register that url it was a renegade web master and it has been resolved we respect the gersts and they have done a lot for the local scene and they aren't even competition we mainly work with rap and national acts
Andrew stadtman
Owner goodnight"

When they emailed George Graham at Goodnight, this is what they received:

I emailed them and said "I'll be sure and tell everyone about your
business tactics.", and George (Dallas) said:

".....don't forget to tell them my label just signed with sony and
that your up bothering me with petty girl shit while I'm up working on
a mix for the new Snoop Dogg album and that I don't give a fuck."

So, yeah, I'm still kinda pissed, and I wanted to share that with people I thought were my friends here.

AS I said, hopefully this thread will disappear in a few days.

DJL said:
I think I must have already pulled it by the time you went there. I also deleted it from Harmony Central and gearslutz.

I tried to put it all behind me, till this latest bit just cropped up. I've left a message for Andy at Goodnight Audio and we'll see if this can be resolved - again.

Hopefully, one of the HR modertors will eventually see my request to pull this thread ASAP.

Harvey... I really was just curoius. Good luck, best wishes and I hope it all turns out good for you.

DJL said:
Harvey... I really was just curoius. Good luck, best wishes and I hope it all turns out good for you.

Ya know, after all these years I've been here I have not once really taken offence to anyone here. I behave myself and usually keep to myself and avoid confontation. But tonight, I'm drunk and ya know what. I'm sorry everyone but it must be said.

DJL, you are a fuckin c**t. People like you need to be smacked!

This DJL seems to have a bi-polar personality, also.
From driving stakes into the backs of people's heads to filling donation papers to the local church.
He doesn't seem right.

You'd think that simply ignoring DJL, as many have done, would get him to simply post his one or two comments and leave us all the heck alone... evidently not so. Personally, I don't think Harvey's comment was misplaced. He's got a right to share a personal story with his friends. The mic forum is heavily visited... he shared... we learned, commented... what's the harm.

No DJL is spouting some nonsense as if Harvey's comments were spam. I shake my head in amazement, because I simply can't understand that guy. Just plain weird he is :eek: :eek: .

... And did I miss something or when was it that HR named DJL mic forum policewoman?

HangDawg said:
Ya know, after all these years I've been here I have not once really taken offence to anyone here. I behave myself and usually keep to myself and avoid confontation. But tonight, I'm drunk and ya know what. I'm sorry everyone but it must be said.

DJL, you are a fuckin c**t. People like you need to be smacked!
Oh great... another fricken drunk.

turtleboy said:
This DJL seems to have a bi-polar personality, also.
From driving stakes into the backs of people's heads to filling donation papers to the local church.
He doesn't seem right.

He’s Kinda a mystery huh?

He's always been this way.
First He helps you out of a tight spot and dazzles you with His knowledge, and then He tells you what a dumb fucker you are.
Your guess is as good as anybodies (bi-polar mmmmm) maybe?
We got along great for years and one day He turned on me like a rabid pit bull.

Just drink more beer is my answer.

C

Back