a Billy Idol cover

Very good - I like the version. :)

The WAV link didn't work for me - I got a "Oops, look like we can't find that page!" screen on SoundCloud... will that work if you're not signed up on that site?

..that narrows it down :confused: The new mix sounds much more cohesive to me - l like it :) If you come up with anything a little more specific than 'it sucks', let me know.

I haven't heard a new mix. I was still talking about the first mix. And I never said "it sucks". Which one is the newest?

It still sounds small and one-dimensional.....but now with lots of reverb. The reverb accentuates the sibilance in the vocal which creates a not-so-pleasing effect.

Like I said before, reverb isn't the fix. There's something happening in the mix that's killing the space and clarity. I suspect it's compression. Let me see if I can explain........Imagine you have a band in a room. There's space between the amps, drums, singer, etc. Not necessarily reverb or panning, but space. Air, if you will. It creates depth and dimension.

Now take what you have here. They way I envision it in my minds eye is that you took that band out of that room, and drew them on a piece of paper, stuck it on a wall, and that's where they are now. You drew them seperately (panning), but they're all on the same plane. There's no depth or air between the sounds. It's all coming at you on one plane, flat as a board. That's usually a sign of bad or improper compression.

Does that make sense?

Thanks man! That makes sense to me. My approach to compression is simple...kind-of...more compression=fitting more crap into a smaller box and not having to ride a fader. Simple, but not precise or beneficial. I use loads of compression on guitars, bass, and vocals. Sometimes I use individual reverbs to try to create a defined space for each things, but then it sounds like the instruments are not even in the same zip code.
I appreciate your patience here Greg. I'm afraid this is going to be a steep learning curve at this point to get my recordings past this hump. :( I think I have to start with better performances that are more consistent and don't need as much compression.

:D

mixing audio by roey inzaghi.....cant recommend it enough

whenever ive learned a hobby i take the first few lessons...then go my own way until i hit another ceiling, then take more lessons...

seriously take some time out and read that book Brad...it'll help explain things better, and help get past any hurdle you percieve to have

though Greg did a pretty good job nailing that

My approach to compression is simple...kind-of...more compression=fitting more crap into a smaller box and not having to ride a fader. I use loads of compression on guitars, bass, and vocals.

Well, that certainly explains this mix. You compressed the life and dynamics out of each track, sandwiched them together, and compressed again. It's no wonder it sounds so flat.

Compression is best used sparingly. It's a tool and it's useful, but it can easily fuck shit up.

Distorted guitars don't usually need much, if any, compression. Maybe going into the amp, but not afterwards. Think about what compression does - it tames spikes. Maybe your raw tracks are so bad that you need to hammer them with compression. If that's the case, then yeah, fix your technique. But your mixes aint never gonna sound right until you can pull them off with less corrective compression.

Distortion guitar doesnt really need much compression...the distortion adds a natural compression already...I wouldnt even compress it.

When I use reverb I actually use two delays in conjuction with the reverb...delay sounds good when blended with verb...there is a trick when mixing to get the verb and delay to move over to the left or right side of song which adds dimension to the song.

:cool:

Back