A Better Man

There's some early reflections that are boosting the mids in your voice and making it sound like you're in a tight wooden booth. What's your vocal recording set up like?

I think the woodwinds and drums are very faint. The recording quality is rich and has good separation, they can take the extra volume without being distracting. If you can take care of the vocals, I think the mix will clear up a lot.

It seems like the instruments and vocals are struggling to keep up with the drum tracks. There's some timing issues that need to be cleared up. The kick is thin and papery sounding. The snare is pretty dull and lifeless. Not sure what drum program you are using, but it could also use some fills or change of pace here and there. The drum tracks get a bit monotonous. The rest of the tracks sound fine. Fix the drum and timing issues and it would improve the sound a great deal, IMO.

I like the sound of almost every instrument, but i have to agree with guitar zero, the drums are buried and monotonous, you could use some time working on those drums, more dynamic. I think the vocals have too much mids on it, and is fighting with other frequencies, i guess around the 1000-2000 hz you could eq just a little. I would use a compressor on the base guitar and eq around the 600-800 hz taking off about 2-4 dbs.

Just MHO. You almost got it.

Regards

Yeah the drum track is distracting.
Have you put a chorus on the vocal track or something?
If so, I'd get rid of it

Hey Wig - I haven't seen you around for ages! I've been in absentia a bit too though. I always love your tunes - I think it's your vocals that pull me in as they are so smooth! I read some of the mix comments towards the end and I agree some work on the drums could enhance it but be careful - don;t lose the vibe of the guitar and voice! Take care !

Wiggy, work on the drums - a little timing and maybe the reverb need to be tweaked - lovely vocal as usual.

i like this. sometimes i think people on this forum are WAY too technical about stuff.
That's a good point. Sometimes I just say "good tune" and leave it at that :D Technical stuff can help people get a better quality product too. It's a fine balance between compliment and critique... :D

Cool song.

But, the mix is a mess...big mess.

Rhythm is way off...the drums sound like they're playing a different song from the rest. And the drums are WAY to quiet overall.

Bass has no definition. Maybe some compression and carving out an EQ space for it.

Acoustic sounds alright...There don't sound like there's enough high end on it...and I usually hate too much highs on acoustics.

Vocals sound cool. Great voice. The reverb sounds like a box. Maybe a simple plate would sound great.

There's some early reflections that are boosting the mids in your voice and making it sound like you're in a tight wooden booth. What's your vocal recording set up like?

I think the woodwinds and drums are very faint. The recording quality is rich and has good separation, they can take the extra volume without being distracting. If you can take care of the vocals, I think the mix will clear up a lot.

+1 on that. the vocal is excellent but sounds as if it's in a box. Needs some hi eq to add some air to the voice and bring it out in the mix. The focus in a song with vocals should *be* the vocal.

You guys are the greatest!

Thank you for the critique. I know this song is worth doing, but I haven't gotten it yet.

I tried to fix what was wrong instead of scrapping it and starting from scratch.

That's the way to go. The latest mix has some flute added and another verse over the recorder, but the timing issues are still there.

Here is the link: SoundClick artist: wiggymusic - I am a studio musician only who collaborates with artists all over the world through the internet.

I'll get it right eventually. Again, thank you for your honest and valuable critique.

Wig

Back