A bad buy...

tenkas said:
I would like to know what you guys think:

Should I PAY for the repair of the firepod or should the seller pay for it?

When he sold it to me, in the paypal description, it says :

IN GOOD CONDITION and THE UNIT IS WORKING GREAT (in capital letters with !!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I started a paypal dispute resolution and I would like to have you guys opinion....

(strange thing: StudioMXPX did not reply to any of my messages on this forum. He only replied to paypal dispute things... weird guy!)

Oh he should definitely pay for it if you can get him to respond. The auction clearly said it was working great. Whatever you do, do not escalate the dispute. They will close it in his favor instantly, and you'll be left with no recourse.

Myriad_Rocker said:
If the seller did not cooperate, then it would have been acceptable to "out" him/her.

The seller could have cooperated by not misrepresenting the condition of the unit.

tubejay said:
Oh he should definitely pay for it if you can get him to respond. The auction clearly said it was working great. Whatever you do, do not escalate the dispute. They will close it in his favor instantly, and you'll be left with no recourse.

According to PayPal's policies, if you do not escalate the claim within 20 days of filing the complaint, it will be automatically closed. So you have to escalate the complaint.

Well good news, StudioMXPX sent me the bill of his buy (Which is in 2005, so I guess there is no more garantee) and he told me that he wants to help me pay to repair the unit.

Took time, but after talking a lot, it seems that there may be some cooperation.

tenkas said:
Well good news, StudioMXPX sent me the bill of his buy (Which is in 2005, so I guess there is no more garantee) and he told me that he wants to help me pay to repair the unit.

Took time, but after talking a lot, it seems that there may be some cooperation.

Was it working before he shipped it? If so, it's probably worth filling a concealed damage claim with the shipper. Let UPS cover the repair.

dgatwood said:
According to PayPal's policies, if you do not escalate the claim within 20 days of filing the complaint, it will be automatically closed. So you have to escalate the complaint.

Right, but as soon as you escalate, it AUTOMATICALLY closes the dispute. So you're best off waiting until the 20th day then escalating it, at which time they'll close in his favor... This just happened to me, and because it wasn't purchased on eBay they just automatically close it when it's escalated. I talked to Paypal about this, and they said flat out this is how it works. Escalating it before the 20th day is pointless.

RightOnMusic said:
i escalated my claim in a non-ebay dispute and ended up getting some of my money back. not all.... >:(

When was that though, and did you not receive the item at all? Apparently that plays into it as well. If you receive anything, even an empty box, then they won't do anything for you at all if it wasn't purchased on eBay.

So to be clear, about 1 month ago I received damaged goods, that were clearly broken before they got to me (there was even a piece of tape on one piece of gear that said a function on it didn't work) and the gear was represented as good and working condition, which is not how it arrived at my door. A lot of it was broken, missing pieces, and in poor condition. So I filed a complaint, because the guy was completely rude and unwilling to do anything about it. Then I escalated it, at which time it immediately and automatically closed the dispute in his favor.

I called Paypal, who confirmed that items not bought on eBay automatically close in favor of the seller if something was received, because nobody can prove who's telling the truth, and they don't have the resources to devote to investigating each claim. If you had told paypal that you received NOTHING, then things might be different.

Back