A-7300 1/4 track to half track?

kennyboy37

ok so to make a quarter track into a half track...one only has to change he heads right?
My Teac A-7300 is currently 1/4 track and I would like to change it to a 1/2 track machine because 1/2 track does have better fequency response.
also it's currently 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 IPS....so what about changing it to 7 1/2 to 15 IPS
foremat?

At least with that machine, I believe you could turn it into a half track by changing the heads. That's not a minor undertaking, as you'd need to change all three heads.

That's not necessarily the universal case for all machines. For one thing, for some models of recorder, there may not be half-track heads that can physically be installed. Also, the electronics would need to be capable handling the hotter signal coming from tape. Neither should be a problem with the A7300, since the same machine was originally made in a half-track version, though typically branded as Ampex or Tascam.

Going from 7 1/2 to 15 ips: I don't know. There are a number of mechanical issues, including brakes. Also, the frequency response will shift by an octave. Whether the EQ can be adjusted to compensate for that, I don't know. Did the Ampex or Tascam versions run at 15 ips? I don't know. If they did, presumably the A7300 could be converted, though there might be some parts that need to be changed.

Based on 1.5 minutes of Google research, I think the Ampex and Tascam versions of the A7300 ran at 15 ips - so a conversion should be possible. Whether you have to change a bunch of parts, I don't know.

On reviewing my posts, I note that I used the phrase "I don't know" four times in two posts.

Probably a sign you want someone else to answer.

Did the 7300 come in half track? You might try tracking down service manuals to see what parts are different. I know e.g. the A3300SX came in a 15ips 2 track version. I'd guess it shouldn't be too hard on that machine to replace the heads, and I actually contemplated that at some point, but didn't research it any further.

TEAC A7300 = Tascam 25-2 = Ampex A700

The latter two were 15/7.5 ips 2-track . They're all fundamentally the same machine ... same electronics, same basic mechanicals, though possibly with some different parts.

Back