a 22yr old's "studio"

Schism

This is pretty much everything i've aquired over the past few years since i started getting into recording, only thing not shown really is my audio-technica condensor mic. other than that, everything should be shown in one way or the other in the photos, with minor exceptions

d.jpg

da.jpg

adf.jpg

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

what do ya think :D

Last edited:
I'm thinking... good beginnings of a home studio, but how the hell do you mix with those speakers? :p Getting a reasonable monitoring setup would probably be the most appropriate next step to take that would improve your studio the most.

Last edited:
indeed it is, you can't hear stuff like phase issues or other ways sound reacts with a room.

Ya gotta better start at 22 than I had. :drunk:

As you go, you'll learn more about it and monitoring and EQ etc so for now....screw it. :) Ya got a good start.
Roll widdit.

edit: sry, double posted by mistake. yea i havent invested in monitors yet because i seem to be doing ok with just the headphones

edit: sry, double posted by mistake. yea i havent invested in monitors yet because i seem to be doing ok with just the headphones

And that's cool. :cool:

Roll with that til you develop a more critical ear. It'll come.
Luck man. ;)

If I'm mixing with headphones vs mixng with monitors, is it going to make a significant difference since the only people that hear my music ate listening to it on their own computer speakers? (for now anyways)

If I'm mixing with headphones vs mixng with monitors, is it going to make a significant difference since the only people that hear my music ate listening to it on their own computer speakers? (for now anyways)

It really kind of depends on what you're doing. If you have fairly sparse mixes and you're just setting the levels of each track and thats good, then you probably don't *need* a great monitoring setup. But, if you're doing heavy rock n roll and you have dense mixes and you have to do a lot of eq, compression and extensive mixing work, etc to make things fit then a nice monitoring setup will definitely benefit you in that you'll actually be able to hear the changes you're making. With electronic drums, they probably already sound "good" as a default because the samples have been created to sound good (i.e. you arent screwing around with different drums and mic placement to try to find a sweet spot).

as you find yourself doing more and more mixing and as you develop a more critical ear, you'll know when its time to drop some change on a better monitoring chain...

Yea I just make the levels of each track match up, nothing too extensive. I haven't gotten into "compressing" or mastering yet, I'm progressing with each track I put out, so I'm sure I'll be getting into more "picky mixing" (heh) very soon

Post a song here...let's hear what you're doing with those headphones.

Sure, here is the most recent track I am currently working on. with an emphasis on WORKING ON, lol. There are some minor problems in the track (such as the snare drum is too strong, that will be softened, minor guitar picking errors, vocals not added yet), this clip continues to the first chorus, and the clip cuts after the first chorus is complete. Keep in mind that it still needs to be finalized, and the vocals havent been added yet, but this is a SAMPLE of the quality:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5DKTSKRX

This is pretty much everything i've aquired over the past few years since i started getting into recording, only thing not shown really is my audio-technica condensor mic. other than that, everything should be shown in one way or the other in the photos, with minor exceptions

d.jpg

da.jpg

adf.jpg

what do ya think :D

.........lurk moar.

Back