880EX download problems - please help!

crgman

I am trying to download the new v2013 into my 880EX. I do not have a sequencer in my PC, so I downloaded the recommended "UpdSMF" player off the Roland site as well. The instructions in the read-me file are:

1. Connect the MIDI OUT port of the sequencer to the MIDI IN
port of the VS-880EX.
2. Hold down [CH EDIT (SEL)] and [STATUS] on track 7 while powering on
the VS-880EX. The message "System Update?" will be displayed.
3. Press YES. The message "Waiting MIDI-EX" will be displayed.
4. Load the Standard MIDI Files into your sequencer.
5. Play all Standard MIDI Files: "880EX_01. MID" to
"880EX_16. MID" in order.
6. After all SMF's have been played into the VS-880EX, the message
"Update SysPRG?" will be displayed. Press YES.
7. The message "Please Reboot OK" will be displayed. The system
software of the VS-880EX has now been updated.
8. Restart the VS-880EX (power off and then on again).

However, when you run the UpdSMF player it asks you for the MIDI out device and it gives me 4 choices:

A: SB Live! MIDI Synth
B: SB Live! MIDI Synth
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
SB Live! MIDI UART

I do not know which of these links up to my soundblaster card. My MicronPC also has another MIDI/Game Controller port that I have tried. Anyway- nothing seems to work, meaning: I send the files to the 880EX (supposedly), but I never get the "Update SysPRG?" prompt on the 880EX display.

Please help! I am totally lost!

-c

I received this advice from someone:

"You only need to have one midi cable connected. The midi "Out on the VS" should NOT be connected to the "midi IN on your PC".

When you play the first Midi-file with the software, (the VS recorder indicates "waiting for SysEx"...and then "receiving....")
The midi file should be played back until the end. Than you would open the second Midi file,(the same indication happens again now on the recorder) and you would again play it until the end.

On your recorder you should be able to see receiving A...for file 1, and B... for file 2...and hexadecimal numbers that are counting in your display during the playback of the file.
You have to play 16 midi files one after the other in following order.

After that last (N°16) file has played, you should get that message that indicates the upgrade is done."

It turns out that the Soundblaster card path out was the "SB Live! MIDI UART" option. I did have the out on the Roland connected to the PC-in, so I disconnected that. Now I am getting the Receive indicator on the Roland.

I hope this helps out someone else.

-c

Back