828 MKII & DP 4.5...is a mixer necessary?

MikeDMusic

I am running Digital Performer 4.5 on my Apple Aluminum Powerbook with a MOTU 828MKII. I am recording drums and acoustic guitar, vocals. Pretty much a full band environment...some MIDI as well. I was wondering if a mixer would help my sound. If so what mixer? I was looking at the Mackie 1642vlz pro...I was under the impression that Mackie was a highly respected manufacturer but I've heard bad things about the mic pre's and the eq in the mixer. Since that's a big reason I would buy a mixer (the mic pre's and the eq) I wanted to know if this was just one persons experience or if this was a pretty consistant thing. Also what are the pros and cons to running a mixer on top of my other equipment. I'm in need of guidance. thanks a lot.

Mike

The most tightly integrated control surfaces for DP are the Mackie HUI and the Radikal Technologies SAC2K. If you go to MOTU's website you can find them under the MOTU product partner index. I completely mix in the box so I have no experience with either products.

I don't think control surfaces and mixers function the same way, so this might be useless info to you. Good luck either way.

I use the pre's on my Mackie Sr24-4 when I am recording 2 or more channels at once (only have a SP VTB-1 other than that). The Mackie pre's have a lot more headroom than the ones on the MOTU. I don't use the EQ on the Mackie though. I have found CueMix to be a pain in the ass to learn, so I set up my routing through the board for monitoring.

MikeDMusic said:
If so what mixer? I was looking at the Mackie 1642vlz pro...I was under the impression that Mackie was a highly respected manufacturer but I've heard bad things about the mic pre's and the eq in the mixer.
Mike
Well, with everything it's subject to opinion. If you are talking Professional Recording Studio I'm not sure it makes much of a difference (I'm talking 24 channels or more consoles), although some people will prefer one over the other.

Mackie Mixers (in the 1642VLZ category) are better than say
Behringer, Alesis, ART, Korg, several others and even perhaps Yamaha.

Mackie Mixers are not better than say Allen and Heath. Some people will argue that Soundcraft mixers are much better, I would agree with that statment with a caveat. Yes, Soundcraft mixers are better than mackie if you are talking before the Spirit line came out.

Now, when I talk about better I'm talking about the quality of the signal going through the mixer, and the quality of the pre-amps. If you weigh quality in how many features a mixer will give you for the price, then Alesis & Behringer mixers are the best bang for your buck and a much better mixer than say a Mackie.

This is just my opinion, and I'm not talking about mixing consoles, I'm talking about homestudio mixers (16 channels or less). I don't think you can go wrong with a 1642VLZ, I just bought a 1402VLZ for myself this past weekend.

I also own a Yamaha MG10/2, but the Mackie has slightly better Pres than the Yamaha. If you can get a chance to A/B a mixer at a store, then do so. You will find you will make your own opinion on the subject. Testing a mixer at the store will not give you an full indication on how it will sound with your recording chain, but it will give you an idea (based on similar conditions) which mixer you prefer.

Good luck, and happy shopping.

MikeDMusic said:
Also what are the pros and cons to running a mixer on top of my other equipment. I'm in need of guidance. thanks a lot.

Mike
On, this question.

Pros -
You can control each channel
You can add effects to one channel (like reverb to vocals)
Control Room and Phones outputs with multi-input source matrix and separate level controls for each.
You can solo a channel
It's an integral part of your Recording studio (especially if you are going to record a whole band).

Cons-
Adds a piece of gear to your chain (if you are using pres).
Add some noise to your chain (depending on the equipment you previously had).

re: 828.....

Thanks a lot...yeah I have never used a mackie mixer or any mackie product at all for that matter, and I reguard them highly simply upon all of the reviews I've read on them...so you like the mic pre's on the Mackie? I wouldn't even consider a mixer unless I felt like I needed more xlr inputs and mic pre's for tracking drums. So with this setup I could track my stuff using the mixer and then mix everything using DP 4.5 so that I could have automation and all the bells and whistles...is that accurate? IF anybody else has any suggestions or comments I'd love to hear them. THanks again

Mike

Back