8 track recording live

mattkaine

I would like to record at live venues with pefferably 8 tracks all at once. What interface do you think would allow me to do this. I have a full p.a. and a dedicated IBM computer with a 120gig hard drive. I have attempted recording on to 2 track with limited results when it comes to the overall sound. I would like to record seperate vocal, drums, and guitars so that I can get a better overall mix. So far all the interfaces I have found have only 2 xlr inputs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you considered using a standalone digital 8 track recorder rather than a PC. They are very portable and sometimes easier to use in live environments.

Ed

Aardvark Q10

8 mic preamps, 4 with phantom. Check with Aardvark to see whether it will work with your IBM.

I'm reading between the lines of the original post, but it seems to me he is taking feeds from a live mixing board. If that is the case, he doesn't need any pre-amps or phantom power. Just A/D converters and the computer and recording software.

If that is the case, I would use a Delta 1010. The 1010LT is a bit awkward to me for this application with all the wires coming of a PCI card. The 1010 has a breakout box which can be rack mounted. Just a single wire between the breakout box and computer.

http://www.jdsound.com/store/product1.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=449

This plus a Behringer ADA8000 will be the cheapest (around 325) to getting you up and running. It's a good sound card with good drivers, and the Behringer is a decent piece, if a bit limited in the gain and headroom compared to better pres from most other people. Still sounds decent, though. This is not a bad setup to start out with.

That Aardvark Q10, though, if you can afford it, has very nice pres. In my experience, however, I didn't have too fun a time with Aardvark's WDM drivers.

Remember to tailor your sound card and the company's driver offerings to your sequencer of choice.

behringer ada-8000 looks good

Thanks for all the input. For what I need the ada-8000 looks really good. My question now is: on the cheap side what sound card sould I get that would have the connections to hook it up. I will admit it I know music, I know how it should sound but I don't know much about computers. Thanks again for all the advice. Oh by the way, I can run my mics straight into the ADA-8000 to record and then out the back into my PA mixing board, right? I would prefer not having 2 completely seperate mics(1 to record-1 to broadcast through the PA). I think that the ADA-8000 will accomlish that right?

Last edited:
I called Behringer and they said to run my xlr's straight into the Behringer ADA-8000 then into the computer using the Terra Tec EWS 88D through the adat line to record then back out to to the behringer using adat to the out puts to Mixing board for my PA. It doesn't have a direct connection between analog inputs and outputs.Has any one had any experience with a set up like this. Is there any other options that would work for around $500us. I am not for sure if I trust running all the sound through the computer instead of just tapping the analog signal to do the A/D conversion. Surely there has to be something out there that would work.

Back