8-track or 4-track????

Tat2Junkie

I am recording a 4-piece band through a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro into an ancient Fostex X-30 4-track.I am looking to upgrade our recorder.What would be the benefits of an 8-track over a 4-track in this application,if any?? Also,any opinions on Tascam vs. Fostex?? Thanks!!

I'm in your same position, although I already decided, and I am getting an 8 track and selling my 4 track. Why? More legroom, stereo recording, etc. With that mixer, I believe you can only record 4 tracks at once...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Tascam is better, by the way. Since you already have a mixer...look for a good used Tascam 238. It's a rackmount 8 track cassette mixer.

The benefit of 8 track recording in that situation is that you could record drums separately in stereo. If you want the drums in stereo on a 4-track, you need to record them together with other instruments, which means you have to get the levels right when recording.
You could even record kick/snare/overheads separately on four tracks, and still have enough tracks left for bass / guitar / vocals.

Coolio info guys!! Dig this,I got this guy I work with who has a Tascam 488MKII he will sell me for $650, he only recorded w/it like 3 times,all manuals,in the box.What do ya' think?????

For 600 dollars you can buy a used Tascam 38 or 80-8 8 track reel to reel.Cassette is a poor sounding non profesional format. Steve Howe of the band Yes recorded 2 of his solo albums on an 80-8. After you here the sound quality of a machine like this , you will never settle for cassette again.

VERY happy with Yamaha MD8. Usually $800 used.

You WILL need 8 tracks for a decent sound. Three for drums, one lead vox, one bass, one guitar lead, one guitar rhythm, one extra for whatever (harmonica, backups, dual leads, whatever).

You will really hear the difference in the drums. They'll be in stereo, and being able to increase/decrease the punch of the kick and toms (yeah, the kick picks up the toms, too) can really perfect the drums for different songs. Plus, you EQ each track.

OK...This is all sounding very interesting.Very appreciative of all the responses! What really peaks my interest is the reel to reel setup..Hmmm..I am going between 4-track,8-track,digital,analog,and everything in between!I would really like to hear more opinions on all of these as I just had a wonderus discussion with my guitar player and sound person(All of us NEWBIES!!)about whether to stay with our casstte medium or go "Y2K Recording" and never look back!!!Help us please!!! Thanx loads!!!

Of all setups you could go with, reel to reel would be best sounding and most professional. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nearly every professional studio still uses reel to reel...if not that many, then a fewer many, but I'm just trying to say it's really popular. So many recordings from the 50s or so onward have been done on reel to reel...I'd say probably 80% or more. They are great sounding...the only problem is that the reels are kind of pricey, and they need to be maintained very well. But if these two are not a problem, then by all means, find a great used Tascam 8 track and a good mixer, and you're good to go. I'd get a reel to reel myself, but being only 17 and not getting a huge amount of cash, the reel to reel route is kind of out of my reach. Now, when I DO get the money, I am definately going to get one.

Reel-to-reel is better than casette, no doubt. But you need a mixer too, not only the reel-to-reel. If you can get an 8 track r2r with mixer for $600, that would be better than the 8-track casette porta, and you can also "upgrade" the mixer separately. However, since 8-track casette portas seem to be around $600, I don't think 8-track r2r's with mixers will be that cheap, unless you get lucky.

Reel-2-Reel is not always superior to a digital 8-track, though. Digital 8-tracks that can record on more than two tracks simoultaneously is usually expensive, so if you need that, a r2r would be a cheaper alternative. On the other hand, of you have no outboard effects some digital portas have their own, which is nice.

Summary: For someboy starting off with no equipment at all, a digital 8-track with built in effects would probably give you the most bang for the buck. However, if you (like me) already have a mixer and a lot of outboard effects, and have been using a 4-track just as a multitrack tape deck, then a second hand 8-track r2r would probably be a better choice than an eight track porta. OR you could (for slightly less money) buy an eight-track casette deck (like a porta, but no mixer). They should be lots cheaper than a porta and cheaper than a r2r.

In your case, with the Mackie 1202, you will probably soon find yourself longing for another mixer if you go with an 8-track casette deck or r2r.

Head spinning yet? It's not an easy choice...

Regebro,are you attempting to confirm my worst fear,that being,the short period of time I have owned the Mackie 1202,I have essentialy already outgrown it?

No, I changed my mind. The 4 stereo channels will work as mono channels too, which means that it will work fine with an 8-track.

So I'd actually recommend you to look for standalone 8-track recorders (either the 238 8-channel cassete deck, or 8-track reel-to-reels). My guess is that this is probably is the type of recorder that will give you the most bang per buck with your setup. People here more experinced with 8-tracks than I can probably give you advice on what to look out for when you buy those second hand.

Then you need good microphones, compressors, and some multi-effects. Do you have that?

Regebro,Whew!! I really didn't want to invest in a new mixer already!As far as mic's and effects goes,here's the lineup...I am using an sm-58 and an Alesis microverb 4 effects processor for my vocals,my guitar player is micing his amp with an sm-58 and playing through a Digitech RP2000 effects board,my bass player also micing his amp w/an sm-58,drummer is using all shure beta series mic's on the drums.We have an Alesis Nanoverb compressor that I don't think we are using very effectively due to lack of knowledge,that's about it I think...

Why SM58s and not 57s? Hmmm...and you'd prolly get a better sound on the bass with an AKG D112, although they run for $220...they're also great for the kick drum. I've seen them used at clubs for live bands. Bass would even sound good plugged into a direct box, then into the mixer.

Elbarto,We bought the sm-58 at the time thinking we were going to get all the sound quality we would need.Why do you say 57's?? The kick drum is a Beta 52,affordable and seems to produce a pretty good sound.Mmmm..Would I be better to spend my money elsewhere in the mix or spend alot of money on a kick drum mic???

Getting back to the original question...

When I first started to record, I had a Grundig cassette recorder with a condenser mic.

When I got more serious about recording, I bought a Tascam 424 analog 4-track.

When I got even MORE serious, I bought a Korg D8 digital 8-track machine.
(And I recorded an entire cd on it!)

Now, I'm going to buy the Akai DPS-16 for my next project, and to record other local artists.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Always go for the best product in the first place, or you'll wind up spending your money twice or even three times before you're truly happy.

Buck,that is the result I am trying to acheive here with all these questions.This thing has blossomed really fast out of nowhere,we went from sitting around jammin',learning a new song here and there,to writing some stuff and putting an actual core band together buying equipment and sounding better and better w/every new piece of equipment and every practice.Now I have become obsessed w/the "We can do this better"syndrome.I am now in the process of building out a 24'x24' studio and trying to outfit w/quality equipment and not having to buy things 3 times over as you said in your reply.I am trying to keep the mindset that this is just a hobby,it's not working very well!So,Buck,what's the best product in your opinion? Keeping in mind,this is just a "hobby" (A hobby of a person obsessed!!)

Back