8 I/O Sound Card?

El Barto

I've been daydreaming of the computer recording world, wondering how much stuff would cost and what to get. If I were to use my computer for recording I'd want to hook up a Mackie 1604VLZ Pro to it, and have 8 ins and 8 outs. I think the 1604 uses RCA in/out, not totally sure, I don't own one. Is there such a sound card and would I have to sell my soul to afford it?

well, the Mackie 1604 has a set of RCA INs/OUTs but on each track it does not have RCAs, it uses 1/4 jacks for the channel inserts, the aux's and the main outs, plus a stereo set of XLR outs.

And as for the soundcard, unfortunatly gadgetlabs just went out of business, because for what U want, the Gadgetlabs 8/24 would have been the way to go....... but it is no more *cries*, so other cards with 8 i/o's will be kinda pricey

Sabith

The Hoontech Audio DSP24 with ADC/DAC2000 breakout box (aka c-port) costs US$360 (plus shippinig and import tax) including some apparently decent recording software. Not too pricey. I'll leave it up to you to search this forum for more details.

/Ola

ola help me out here.

went to the hoontech site and well it looks great. now where's the catch?
cause there's gotta be one else everybody would be using this unit. I also noticed they don't give a SNR.
is this the reason it's cheap?

cause the DAC and ADC box got SNR's (which are 120 ) that should sell like the shit cause aark 24 isn't as good as that. i think.

but i'm probably wrong.

that's why i'm asking you.

please?

guhlenn

ola?

did you get that new Hoontech setup WITH mic pre's?

tell me all about it if you did, if you didn't tell me all about why you didn't.

PLEASE?

guhlenn

I don't know what the catch is. I have the DSP24 with ADC/DAC2000 and am very happy with it. The two built-in preamps are crap but if you have a mixer or other preamps, it's great. Probably not as good as the very best units available but they have a completly different price tag. All reviews I've read says that the unit is good, especially considering the price.

The converters in the ADC/DAC2000 are the same as in the more expensive ADCIII and DACIII (or so I'm told) but the I/Os are unbalanced so I presume that the SNR is quite a bit lower. A guess is around 90-100.

I am planning on selling my unit and getting the DSP24 mkII and the ADCIII. That setup would give me 8 in with good preamps and 2 balanced outs, all at 24/96. The reason is that I sold my mixer so I need preamps on the ins and only two outs to feed the monitors. I haven gotten it yet because I currently have no computer to stick it in.

I just found a review, check it out. http://www.pcrecording.com/hoontech.htm

As I said, I don't know what the catch is. Perhaps it's just that it's a new brand.

/Ola

i'm gonna check out the ADC/DACIII.

i believe we've got an up and coming brand here.

nice to benifit from that.

ola, do you know if it's compatible with CE PRO? and Sound Forge?

thanks!

guhlenn:)

hey ola!

i think i've figured it out but i'm not sure...

the DSP24 mkII with ADCIII would give me 8ch of balanced analog in (XLR) and two balanced analog out?

cause that's all i need.

for $850 bucks!!!

no mixer or preamp needed.

but i don't get this:

the ADC has a SNR of 120 dB the DSP24 mkII has a SNR of 100dB. what does this mean? i don't get it. is the lowest value the actual SNR? or the mean or something? do you know?

thanks for showing me hoontech though. i was about to spend loads more of money. Now i wont even have to sell my blood or heart to science...

what a relieve ;)

greetz guhlenn

I don't know if it's compatible with CE PRO and Sound Forge. It should be but you can never be 100% sure. I've only tried them with n-Track.

The ADCIII has a better SNR than the DSP24 mkII. What this means is that the inputs on the ADCIII has a SNR of 120 while the outs on the DSP24 mkII has only 100. Simply because the converters in the rack box are better than the ones on the card. As the A/D conversion is done in the rack box, the SNR will be higher.

Also, it's cheaper than US$850:) The DSP24 mkII costs US$210 and the ADCIII costs US$450. Total= a mere US$660. $800 gets you the DSP24+ADCIII+DACIII. Just remember to add a bit of shipping and tax/import fees to that, I think you'll land below $850 anyway.

/Ola

i got that price from there web-site. it said : order now!
now i know why... ;)

i'm lookin for some reviews but it's hard. i wanna know if the preamps are GOOD. cause everyone is constantly telling me that they are so important.

uhmmm, well, have you got any recordings i can listen to?
cause i'm raving here about that thing so it would be pretty stupid if i'd find out later i didn't like the sound.

thanks guhlenn.

ps. if i bought the DACIII too would that mean upgrading my SNR by 20dB? and would that have a noticeable effect on the audio?

The BBS member Bones said in this thread that the preamps were really good but I have not tried them myself. I have a local dealer and will try them before I buy but that will be sometime in the future.

I cannot say whether you (or anyone) will notice the 20dB increase in SNR. Maybe, maybe not. I don't think it would be worth the money though, unless you need the 8 outs. On the other hand, it's "only" a $140 (plus tax etc.) difference so it might be worth getting it just in case you need more in the future.

/Ola

i'm just gonna have to try it i guess. one person saying something makes me paranoia... (he works for, he gets money for every item sold!!) being paranoid isn't fun!
i still don't get it though. will the ADCIII SNR of 120dB apply only to th signal; going to what ever you route it to?

and the audio signal to the computer just the cards SNR of 100dB?

help me, be specific i think i can handle it!

(or i hope)

greetz guhlenn

The 120dB is the SNR of the DACIII outputs. If you route that through some really noisy power amp, you'll loose it but you have 120dB to start out with. If you only have say 70dB to start with, then that's your maximum - regardless of the quality of the power amp.

>and the audio signal to the computer just the cards SNR of 100dB?

Please clarify.

/Ola

first: thanks for answering all of my questions.

now basically what i meant is:

if the sound cards SNR is crap will it matter if the ADC/DACIII has good SNR?
now i forgot to add: the quality of the RECORDING is my main concern. not the output to monitors. so will having an
ADCIII help getting better RECORDED materialas opposed to the ADC2000?
I thought so but i'm confused right now.
The DAC (with the 8 outputs) does not have a effect on the recording then , right? (well not direct anyway, i know you will argue that lesser monitor sound will resolve in poorer recordings but leave this aside please.)

greetz guhlenn:)

Your right. It was my mistake - I misread ADC in your last post.

The A/D SNR that you need to be concerned with is the one of the ADCIII, as that's where the conversion takes place. The same goes for the DACIII. You're not using the "lesser" inputs/outputs on the card itself. The signalling to/from the rack box(es) is simply some data format.I wouldn't call an SNR of 100dB crap though:)

Getting the ADCIII rather than the ADC/DAC2000 will yield better recording results. The A/D converter are the same but the surrounding electronics such as preamp and balanced inputs are better on the ADCIII.

The DAC has no effect on the recording. (apart from what you mentioned...) The DSP24 mkII has all the outputs you need.

Let me know if it made no sense, I'm really tired

/Ola

well, you did great! how late is it at your place?

no really i think i completely understand! (and that alone is a miracle!);)

wanna write more but gotta go...

hope i can ask you some more questions tomorrow, if you don't mind.

:)

greetz guhlenn

okay!

i got the price (the dealer was REALLY friendly) i suspect them of not having so many clients;)

i'll check one out when i get the chance...
i'll let you know

price is pretty decent too: in dollar it would be $900

hey wait a minute...

i'm being ripped off here!

were did you sayi could get it for like $600?

greetz guhlenn

checking it out right now. funny thing with prices.... they almost always seem to be less outside holland... don't get it.

greetz guhlenn

Try checking the prices in Sweden. The DSP24+ADC/DAC2000 costs equivalent to US$700 in the local store and the DSP24 mkII+ADCII would cost equivalent to US$1200. Why do you think I shop on-line?

I think that US$900 for the second setup above is a fair price. Not the cheapest but about what it would cost for me if I ordered from the Korean company. However, we have a 25% sales tax, which does nast things to imported goods:( To get a rough estimate, add US$50 for shipping to the Korean company's prices and then add the Nederland's sales tax to that.

You can check this British company as well. I don't know what the British V.A.T is but I'm guessing at 17%. http://www.sescomputers.com/

Cheers

/Ola

Back