8 Channel Preamp?

millzboy

I need a good, solid 8 channel preamp to run with my Pro Tools studio. Any good recommendations? It can be rackmount or not, not looking to break the bank. Just good, warm preamps.

Thanks!

Before we even get into this discussion. Did you use the search function on here? And have you looked on Gearslutz? That place is a wealth of (mis)information on anything gear related. Or you can look on any of the major gear sites (Zzsounds, Sweetwater, Front End Audio) and do a search/browse by price to find what your options are. Then use Google and search for "[Insert Your Preamp Here] reviews"

Also...before we start. You're going to get about 300 different responses that are mostly going to be based on opinion. The best recommendation you'll get is to see if you can try out some of the models that are in your price range before you buy them.

Not trying to be a jerk...just pointing out that this question has been asked an answered more times on forums than any of us could count.

Gizzmo sounds a bit harsh (and he's trying not to) but I can see where he's coming from.
Your question is as well as being frequently asked, a little wide open.
I think you also asked the same question on another thread.
So: What are you looking for?
An 8 channel preamp?
An 8 Channel ADA Converter?
One which will exceed the quality of the preamps on your interface or one which will add 8 more channels for you? Or maybe you're actually looking for an 8 channel audio interface?
And finally, what's your budget?
There are lots of models to choose from. If you have a look around and find one that looks good to you, come back with it and see what others' opinions are.
Enjoy your search. :)

Gizzmo sounds a bit harsh (and he's trying not to) but I can see where he's coming from.
Your question is as well as being frequently asked, a little wide open.
I think you also asked the same question on another thread.
So: What are you looking for?
An 8 channel preamp?
An 8 Channel ADA Converter?
One which will exceed the quality of the preamps on your interface or one which will add 8 more channels for you? Or maybe you're actually looking for an 8 channel audio interface?
And finally, what's your budget?
There are lots of models to choose from. If you have a look around and find one that looks good to you, come back with it and see what others' opinions are.
Enjoy your search. :)

Absolutely not trying to be harsh. It's just a difficult question for someone else to answer for you.

There's two sides to a preamp. The technical side, which will fill your head with numbers, facts and figures. This is the raw data that will give you the most clinical comparison between the different types of preamps that you're looking at. And there's the non-technical side. The "I-can't-explain-why-but-I-just-like-the-way-this-sounds" side. Which is the part that really no one else but you can answer since is largely objective.

The best thing that we can do here is fill you in on what your options are. So if you post your price range, and maybe some other info, like what microphone(s) you'll be using with it,you'll get a whole slew of options that are both in, and most likely slightly outside your range. And then you can do the comparison and see which one suits your needs.

However, like I said, this has been asked and answered literally thousands of times on various forums. So you won't find anything "new" here, if that's what you're hoping for.

Seventh Circle Audio preamp kits can provide you with unbelieveable kickassery for about $3K for 8 channels.

Back