8 channel Audio Interface

way95

I'm still dreaming about setting up a studio and I got a pretty good idea what I'd need except I haven't settled on an audio interface. I would want to have 8 xlr mic inputs and firewire or USB 2 connection. If I were to spend up to 2k on an interface, what would you all recommend as the best way to get the sound from the mic to the daw? What about biult-in preamps versus having a separate preamp box?

They're pretty comparable units but the MOTU has more outputs and doesn't have MIDI. Do you need 32 outputs?

I would most likely get the Focusrite.

Cheers :)

Finding a good interface at 2K should not be a problem. At that price point, not only should the on board pre's be really good, you should be able to get motorized faders. I wouldn't worry too much about the MIDI though as many keyboards have switched to USB and there are a few MIDI/USB adapters out there that work well.

If you are going to throw that kind of artillery at the computer, really recommend getting a high end rig. i7 chip or one of AMDs 6 Core chips. 6-16 Gig, 7200-10K or SDD drive. What you are proposing is getting at the high end.

Here is a suggestion, you might want to start out smaller (not sure the objective). Get an 8 channel AI (Tascam 1800 seems to get good reviews, but something at that level) for about $300 (GC). Get your mic collection and studio set up, get going, then if you want to move into a higher level the only area you will have to replace is the AI. I think 8 channels is a really good start and can record almost anything except a whole band with drums. Even that can be accommodated by simple using a MIDI drum track for base tracking, record everyone else, then lay the real drums in later, or some combination of that.

Hope I helped and not confused.

I recently upgraded from the Tascam US1800 to two Steinberg UR824's. Though the difference in $ per channel is $12 to $100, I would still recommend the US1800 for initial startup. Many productive years I have had with the interface. You have way more important expenses to get good recordings. Room treatment should be at the top of your list before anything. Not that expensive foam crap. Look at the Studio Building & Display forum here for ideas.

I don't recommend this lightly. From experience, room treatment is the most important thing you can ever do. And it is less expensive than a great preamp that will still sound like crap in a shitty room.

I think I agree with Jimmy that, if you're just starting out, you might be better off with the US1800 and plowing the money you save into acoustic treatment, mics, monitors etc.

If, however, you have that covered and still want to spend $2000 on an interface, may I recommend the MOTU 896 Mk3? Lovely sounding pre amps, extremely flexible monitor routing including effects for singers who want reverb in their cans, etc. etc.

...a great unit but make sure everything else in the studio is of matching quality or it's a bit of a waste.

Back