$79.00 condenser in Musicians Friend?

river_recording

I need 2 cheap condenser mikes for recording my first blue grass project. I've seen CADs, NADYs,& Behringers in Musicians Friend for around $80.00. Has anyone used any of these mikes? I have 3 condenser mikes that I use on nearly every project. They definitely sound much better on acoustic instruments, but I paid up to $450.00 for them. If anyone has used any of these low priced condenser mikes, I'd love to know what you think. I'm used to using more dynamic mikes for loud drums and amplified instruments than sensitive condenser mikes and could use them for this blue grass recording, but if I could get some good reports on these cheap condensers I think I could get better sounds and stay within a very low budget. If there is a common defect or sound compromise that allows these mikes to be so inexpensive please let me in on it so I can end this jones to try them. This blue grass band is made up of acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, & upright bass. They want to play together in the studio and so there will be bleed and very little opportunity for repair punch ins. My recording friends have recommended forming a circle (all facing the center) using cardiod pattern mikes hoping to take advantage of the natural rejection of off axis instruments. Sounds good to me. If there are any other helpful hints, I am all ears. Thanks for your help. I'm anxiuos to see some of your reviews.

I haven't heard any of the mics you mentioned, but for the same price you could get a MXL 603s which has a good reputation. I've got 2 of them and don't regret purchasing them at all. The MXL is definitely no Neumann KM184 though!!! :D

Well, I got 2 Nady SCM900's from musician's friend a while back and I think they are great for the price- given that I have better sounding mics to use when the Nady's don't quite cut it. Also, I'm not sure how consistent the mics are, so check them very carefully when you get them- they might not sound close enough to use as a nice sounding stereo pair.

I use the nady's mostly for recording acoustic guitar. With proper placement they work pretty well. I may have gotten lucky getting a pair that matched closely enough, though. If you need extra mics to record instruments that aren't going to be prominent in the mix (and not in stereo) the Nady's might work for you.

I have a pair of the MXL 603's, too. I haven't used them extensively, yet, but they do indeed have a good reputation and sound really nice (so far). They aren't large diaphrams, but they have a clarity and crispness that might serve your bluegrass project well. If I recall correctly, their cardiod pattern is kind of wide, so be careful with that circle idea. Might make it as large a circle as you can.

Old time bluegrass recordings were sometimes done with the musicians standing in a circle around one omni mic. Whoever needed to be louder simply stepped forward. (!)

Have fun!
Chris

Behringer . . .

I heard they are coming out with the B1 shortly. I'm assuming this will be the Behringer equivalent of the Rode NT1. Gotta' love reverse engineering. :)

Anyway, I would assume that when this comes out it will be about the best thing out there for $100 as far as large-diaphragm condensers go.

Even cheaper than that, I would assume the ecm-8000's might be good for what you are trying to do. Their pattern isn't cardiod, but you might combat that by moving the mics in closer to your source.

Ideally, though, for what you are talking about, I am thinking Oktava MC-012. Those are pretty cheap but probably not as cheap as you are looking for. :)

Back