788 Upgrade

S.C.U.D

Hi got a 564 thinking of upgrading to a 788.

Heard there's a memory upgrade for the 788 - would a brand new unit come with this or would i still have to upgrade.

Also could i midi a 788 to my 564 (564 as slave) so i could have 12 tracks.

Any opinions on the 788 would be apreciated also

Regards

The SCUD

A new 788 should be loaded with the latest 2.02 upgrade. If it's been on the shelf for a year, it will be 1.10, but Tascam will send you an upgrade CDR for free, or request an eprom upgrade if you do not have the 788 burner.

I'm not familiar with the 564, but the 788 is capable of controlling other midi capable units. I would assume you would't ask this unless the 564 has a midi in, if it does, you should be all set. You can also control certain aspects of the 788 like track volume, efx, etc. from a sequencer, giving the 788 the ability to be automated.

My opinion of the 788? It's been a great machine for me and for many others. If you had asked this question in the old, now defunct Tascam 788 forum, you would have gotten quite a few responses quickly, urging you to go out and buy one as soon as possible.

I've had great service from my 788 and good deals can be made on them now, you should be able to pick one up for $600 or less.

I just upgraded mine and I'm glad I did, the bigger hard drive makes all the difference in the world.

I just bought mine brand new and factory sealed off of Ebay for $459. It came with 2.02. I would definitly recommend the 788

RE: thanks alot - I think i'll get one - Just out of interest what does the upgrade actually do.

I love to know what this upgrade does

Here is the Tascam 788 FAQ page for instructions and other stuff:http://www.tascamcontractor.com/788_files/FAQs/index.html
Look to the bottom of page for information regarding Firmware updates.

The biggest advantage to me is the ability of the 788 to now recognize 64 gig as 4 partitions, 16 gig each. Previously the max was 16 gig, 4 partitions, 4 gig each. Also the ability to import/export .wav files.

Back