788 glitch

philboyd studge

Darn thing is locking up sometimes after recording tracks. Currently I'm working with 14 songs on one partition with about 40% resources left. Sometimes the play button will blink and no functions work, or it'll lock up when trying to save or load something else. This just happened today after years of faithfull service.

It's been a long time and a thousand songs since it's been formatted and I'm thinking it's become fragmented. Since I'm finished with the recording I guess it's time to get everything mixed and unto the computer before anything else happens.

I should update the ancient v1.05 chip too. And get a decent sized hard drive. I've got no idea what people are using in the 788's now and the Tascam forum is shut down just in time to be of no use.

Any ideas?

All the info you want is on the downed forum. I replaced my internal drive with a Western Digital 80 gig(JB) drive which has been okay. Actually, if I were you, I'd wait until the forum comes back and do a search for "acard". This will get you in the direction of hooking up an external drive. If you hook up an external drive you will gain a lot of extra space, and have the ability to copy all your stuff to the extenal drive so you can reformat the internal drive. I've got both the internal 80 gig and an external 80 gig. There are those who found 80 gig drives to run too hot internally so they've opted for 40 or 60 gig drives.

Definately upgrade of course, you'll have to for the larger drives. For now you can still format the drive after backing up all your stuff and confirming the back-ups are successful.

A chip upgrade was like $49 about a year and a half ago, if it's in that range I'll take the plunge.

As to a hard drive a quiet 40 or 60 gig drive would do for me. Anything's better than 7.5.

Hey PS,
Ive had little problems like that when recording myself. Seems like when ive discarded those problem tracks, everything went back to normal. ...definitely upgrade your os, 2.02 is great!! You have full import/export ability w/ wav files in that os, as well as a few other nice things. I upgraded from 1.10, and all i needed was a cd. I think youre gonna need an eprom since youre on 1.05. ...only about 30 bones, and really easy to install.
good luck

Rarebird said:
Philboyd, There is a site just for 788 Refugees. Go Here:
http://cmoore.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
If you ask your question there, you may get some better answers as to hard drive choices.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I went back to the same song today and tried to lay down another track............same thing.......freezes up when saving.

So I ran tracks 5 and 6 to 7/8 and saved ...........no problem.

Then I tried a new track on 5........froze up again.

One thing I noticed with the new tracks is that they don't get a 00.00 reference, they start at 00.01 so they can't possibly hook up.

Back