64 bit audio export

AGCurry, brazilian, you guys have your heads up your butts. You're like little kids. If you can't be right about something, you just whine.

Regarding going from 64 bit to 24, yes, for now it would have to be in Sonar but if 64 becomes a standard, then there would be other software to do this, that is what I was alluding to. Generally people work on MACs in big studios and so Sonar most likely would not be the choice.

What is with you guys. I'm done here girls.

Middleman said:
For the final version no. While working on the production files, prior to commiting to a 16bit 44.1 file yes.
I've always worked a song in 16 bit. I guess the correct way is to work in 24 or higher and mix down to 16. Why is that? Better overall sound?

Albertm said:
I've always worked a song in 16 bit. I guess the correct way is to work in 24 or higher and mix down to 16. Why is that? Better overall sound?
Yes, better sound because of better resolution. If you do a search, you will find hundreds of threads detailing the subject.

There are two schools of thought on this. Some people feel you should work at 44.1 and 16 bits because that's where CDs end up anyway. You will not be surprised with the end result and you end up mixing into 16 bits making your EQ, pan and volume decisions based on what it sounds like.

24 bits, as Farview points out, will get you some additional math and better sound. This plays out in details and smoothness; if your soundcard is up to the task. Low end sound cards have pretty decent chips but not so decent analog circuitry, usually on the DA side of things which can make the sound of a 16 to 24 bit excursion a minimal audio experience. You may have a better sounding file but you are not going to realize much given a poor implementation of the DA circuit. I had an old M-Audio card that had this issue. When I stepped up to a high end card I went back to some of my old files and was surprised that they actually sounded great in 24 but I could not hear that difference. Clocking on low end devices can also be an issue. Not going there for this discussion.

Going to 24 bits can also be a disappointment if you have wimpy or poor dithering software. You can end up with less than spectacular results by the time you get back to 16 bits for the burn. Early versions of Sonar come to mind but they have improved their algorithms in recent years.

Overall, however, its' best to forge ahead with pushing your sound towards the best potential which is recording in 24, getting the best soundcard/convertors you can afford and having decent software that does a good job of dithering back down to 16.

Last edited:
Thanks Middleman. I have Sonar PE 5, so that should take care of dithering. I tried setting Sonar to 24 bit and It said my crappy soundcard won't work with it. (I have NVidia) I actually thought that my Tascam 1082 board overran my computer soundcard when powered up and became my soundcard , and that would work with 24 bit, but I guess not. This is new to me but I do think I did get it to swtich over to 24 bit when I first started, but now it won't. But I will read up on new soundcards anyway . Any personal suggestions where to start. Thanks again

Albertm said:
Thanks Middleman. I have Sonar PE 5, so that should take care of dithering. I tried setting Sonar to 24 bit and It said my crappy soundcard won't work with it. (I have NVidia) I actually thought that my Tascam 1082 board overran my computer soundcard when powered up and became my soundcard , and that would work with 24 bit, but I guess not. This is new to me but I do think I did get it to swtich over to 24 bit when I first started, but now it won't. But I will read up on new soundcards anyway . Any personal suggestions where to start. Thanks again
The tascam should work that way. You must have something in Sonar pointing to the internal soundcard, or else it wouldn't know it was there. This is a configuration problem.

I unhighlinghted my computer soundcard under drivers. Now I can get the 24 bit to stick under Options Audio. But when I open a new project it still comes up 16 bit. Any ideas?

There may be an option in the ini file that Cakewalk uses during startup to set the default to 24 bit.

Albertm said:
I checked cakewalk.ini. Didn't see anything. Would it be another ini file?
There has to be something in the manual. There should be something in project setup, and maybe a way to save a project template.

Albertm said:
I checked cakewalk.ini. Didn't see anything. Would it be another ini file?

Sorry, wrong file. Try the Aud.ini file. Defaults for audio startup are in there.

Quoting the Cakewalk guy

"SONAR 5 (and now 6) was the first DAW to natively support Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. That means that we utilize 64-bit processing which results in greater processor effeciency and you also have the added benefit of access to additional RAM which is provided by the 64-bit platform."

Leaving aside the 64-bit audio engine thing for a moment, this business about 64 bit CPU/OS having 'greater processing efficiency' is what puzzles me. I could understand if there was a corresponding increase in the internal bus bandwidth allowing greater data thoughput per clock cycle, but I believe the data bus on the new 64 bit Intel cpus is still 64 bits wide, same as the old P4s.
Aside from being able to address a gadgillion GB of ram, I don't see how 64 bit processing allows for greater efficiency

Middleman said:
Sorry, wrong file. Try the Aud.ini file. Defaults for audio startup are in there.
Thanks, found it. Quick update. I called tech support and found out in Sonar 5 you need to go to Options/Global to make that change even at all let alone permanent. Even thought manual says options/audio will do it. Than you don't need to go to .ini file.

Back