60's , 70's reverb

J.L.

I am carious to know how reverb was added to 60's and 70's recordings. I am guessing that in the 60's they just recorded the spring reverb that came straight from the amp but in the 70's most records have stereo reverb that couldn't have been recorded directly from the amp. how do you think the early 70's groups got Stereo reverb onto the records?

I would imagine in the late 60's and 70's, they got it the same way people get it now, with a reverb unit or recording in a very live room.

We're not talking The Flinstones here, electricity has been around since at least the 50's. :D

They had rooms dedicated to be reverbs. A live room, sometimes painted with shelac with a couple of speakers and a couple of mics. Also plate reverbs were common. Also tape based sel/sync stuff for delays.

Some of the famous echo chambers were like the ones at Capitol Records, built way down under ground in the form of concrete bunkers.

The other options that came a little later were plate reverbs, made from huge sheets of metal, similar in principal to the spring reverb...and of course, simply recording in various larger spaces that had good reverberation, though you couldn't always just move a recording session into a nice cathedral or hall.

Those are the reverb sounds of the '60s and early '70s..and then came the analog and digital electronic reverbs.

I like the flavor of plate reverbs, and I use a couple of digital plate reverb settings that I have in my racked reverb boxes for a lot of my vocal tracks.

The house they recorded in in Motown had an attic room with sealed walls with a speaker at one end and a mic at the other.

If you want to find out how they did stuff back then, go over to the Sound-on-Sound website and look through the back issues
at the "Classic Tracks" column where they tell you how everything was done. Lots of gold over there....

They would find places that sounded good to record in. Hallways, stairwells, and reverb chambers. Plus the general tracking rooms sounded great, so they didn't have to sing right on the mic. The mic would pick up more of the room.

Back