60db of 'noise reduction'...but how loud are drums?

earworm

i'm drawing plans to build a drumbooth in a room,
room is small, only like 4 on 4 meters, the neighbours live right nextdoor,
but i still want to give it a shot, can't live without playing drums or recording

i've been reading good stuff about isolation/absorption but it seems like if i build my booth the way i plan i might, MIGHT get like 60db of attenuation of noise

but i'm certain that if i play drums its more like the double that i produce, who knows, i might be making sounds of 120db

so is it worth spending over 500 euro on material...
whats the maximum amount of isolation (in db) that u ever experienced in a studio, how far do people go :)

....after thinking a bit more....inner room might attenuate 60db if i'm lucky,
and then there's an airgap and the "brick wall between me and the neighbours"' ... that'll help too

I doubt you'll ever get enough isolation not to hear the drums with 500euros. You will be able to reduce the amount of transmission a significant amount though, although bass sounds will be difficult.

Building the drum booth as small as you can will give the most isolation. 1 the distance to the neighbour's wall will be greater, and 2 you use the same amount of materials layered thicker, improving the isolation.

60db of isolation at what frequency? 60db at 1k is not going to keep your kick drums from pissing off your neighbors.

I just got through with a complete studio build.
I skimped a little on glass thickness (only 3/8ths instead of 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch) and my two doors are solid, but not as solid as they could be, but well sealed.My walls were room with in a room single sided walls with double 5/8ths sheetrock and 3.5 inch airgap between them.

I only got 50 db of isolation. (more above 250 hz, but less below 125 hz where the kickdrum funamental is)

The drums were measuring 110 to 115 db inside the room(c weighted) and about 60 -65 db in the main room.
Outside the studio it was unmeasurable , but I had an extra 2 doors and air spaces between the drums and the outside world.

60 db is possible, but you must have well sealed mass... don't skimp.

Tom

very interesting

i'm sure i'll have to work on my relationship with the neighbours

why doesn't everyone in the world die so i can record in peace?

tmix said:
I just got through with a complete studio build.

I only got 50 db of isolation.

I am finishing up my studio as well. Generally, it's double wall construction with plywood & hardiboard siding on the exterior, and 1" of drywall on the interior. Windows are double glazed, with storm windows with a 2-3" gap from the window. I also have around 50dB of transmission loss, which is not too bad. Consider that if you have 60dBSPL outside your door, your neighbors should lose at least another 30dB inside their house. Unless they like to leave the windows open :eek:

earworm said:
very interesting

i'm sure i'll have to work on my relationship with the neighbours

why doesn't everyone in the world die so i can record in peace?

man, i was about to make a super tasteless joke.... but it was sooooooooo frikin tasteless i'd better not.

maybe in a year or so. :o

Back