600 Ohm headphones

From what I've been told it's the impedance of the phones that determines the volume they'll give up. I'm sure the output amp in the walkman can power the headphones but whether or not you'll find them loud enough is the question.... I prefer my eyes to shake when I have my headphones on so I go with the lowest impedence I can find. I just got my drummer a pair of A.T. K-66's ( I think that's the number) anyway he loves 'em cuz they burn his big bald head .... 32ohms

The answer is, "no".

I have a pair of Maxell HP-700 headphones that I bought at K-Mart for $13. There is a volume control and stereo/mono switch in the cable.

Using a multitester, I adjusted the volume control till the meter indicated 600-Ohms. Then I plugged the headphones onto the Walkman. Result: barely audible in a quiet room.

I was considering buying a pair of reference headphones in order to educate my ears. But the Sony CD Walkman cannot drive a pair of 600-Ohm headphones to a level sufficient for this purpose.

hang on there sibley! when speakers and headphones are measured in ohms, it is the impedence that is being measured, not the actual resistance. my suggestion would be to try it out at the store, there is no good reason why they wouldnt let you. good luck!

The headphones I am interested in are the Beyer DT990 Pros. There is no store in my area, to my knowledge, that stocks these phones.
I see whether any other model of 600-Ohm headphone is available for me to audition. Thanks.

Back